Sunday, July 20, 2008

He is Here, Isn't He?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Glitter Graphics


I have been known to talk to a person on the phone thinking it was someone else, so I like to make sure that I am talking to the right person.

In the past, when Hubby called me from work to inquire about the contents of his mail, I’d rattle off the names on the return address of the mail only to find out it wasn’t him. When a caller calls around the time he usually makes his call, that’s when it goes haywire. For this reason, I’ve made a habit of double-checking.

Here is a recent conversation:

Me: Hello?

Hubby: This is Hubby.

Me, thinking that it sounded like Hubby, but assumed that the caller said “Is Hubby there?”: He’s not here right now.

Hubby: This IS Hubby.

Me: Is this Hubby?

Hubby: Yes. I had to go find myself but I don’t need to find myself anymore.

Me, heart dropping: You don't?...You were looking for yourself? I didn’t know you were looking for yourself.

Hubby: Nooo. I know where I am at. I don’t need to find myself.

Me, heart pounding faster now: You don't need to find yourself?

Hubby: I know where I am at.

Me, slowly realizng that he meant that he didn’t have to go find himself. He is Hubby so he didn’t have to go and GET himself on the phone. Oooohhh, duh. Then I said: I thought you were trying to tell me you had a mid-life crisis or something.

Hubby: No, no. I know where I am at.

Me: Okay

Hubby: Just calling to say that I am working overtime till _____.

Me: You are working overtime till _____.

Hubby: Yes.

I have fun with words. It’s fun to take the word out of context and play with it. There can be many ways to interpret them. I guess this time, words had fun with me. Or I have created a word-playing monster (Hubby) because I play that on him all the time. Pay back. Good one. I’ll get you back.


I have lots of funny converstations on the phone. What do you do? Laugh at yourself and move on. In my better ear, with HAs, I hear about 50 decibels, but it could be a little less now. Compare that to about 95 decibel loss without the HA on. So it's amazing sometimes how much I do pick up and screw up, too.




Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At Sun Jul 20, 01:18:00 PM , Blogger Laurie said...

Three more days! It is getting close!

That is nice that you can talk to hubby like that on the phone. I, too, have a hubby that knows how to talk to me on the phone. If I have a little trouble, he'll reword something or say it differently...you will do even better after you get your CI!

 
At Sun Jul 20, 03:32:00 PM , Blogger Beth said...

It's wonderful that you both have a sense of humour about these calls - and this particular conversation made for a great post!

 
At Sun Jul 20, 04:01:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny, Shari! I'm glad it was just a good sense of humor and not a midlife crisis. :)

Well, we're just about ready to meet each other on the other side! Here's to US!! LOL

Big hugs,

Wendi

 
At Sun Jul 20, 10:48:00 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

Shari...it's almost time! I am so excited for you!!! ((hugs))

 
At Sun Jul 20, 10:53:00 PM , Blogger Amrita said...

When people talk softly on the phone I get very frustrated, sometimes i pretent i am listening.Its so hard.

My cell phone works much better for my than the landline.

 
At Sun Jul 20, 11:08:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, he actually calls you! (Mine didn't come home until 9:30pm tonight, though work got done at 7:00pm. Who knows why?)

 
At Sun Jul 20, 11:18:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my.... My senior yr of high school, I was talking on the phone with a guy. I thought I knew who it was. Then he asked me out. I drew a blank. Too shy ask who it was!!!! Did not know who it was til he picked me up!!!!! It was a good friend!!!!

Talking to friends on the phone at the noisy shopping malls, I would verify what I heard by adding YES YES or NO.

Prayers are with you!!!!!!!
HUGS Molly CC

 
At Mon Jul 21, 01:11:00 AM , Blogger Becky said...

Lol! Occasionally, before it became illegal to talk and drive in the car, I would pick up my cell phone while out and about, and if it was noisy in my car (radio or kids yakking) or the caller was calling from a noisy place, I'd find out I was moments into a conversation with someone other than who I thought it was, lol.

Praying that all goes well for your surgery and recovery!

 
At Mon Jul 21, 04:49:00 AM , Blogger hillgrandmom said...

Almost there now isn't it before you become a bionic woman? All the very best.

 
At Tue Jul 22, 08:31:00 AM , Blogger Shari said...

Thanks, everyone. It'll be over before you know it. I just want to focus on the activiation and yes, not to expect too much. :)

 
At Tue Jul 22, 09:41:00 AM , Blogger Cyborg Queen said...

Lol...that's pretty funny. I've had a lot of those conversations when I wore my hearing aids.
TOMORROW! I'm rooting for your good recovery!

 
At Tue Jul 22, 12:45:00 PM , Blogger contemporary themes said...

Too funny!

Rooting for you and your surgery!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home