Monday, June 30, 2008

ZZZs with RP




For a long time, I've had to fight falling asleep during the day. Sometimes I give in and sometimes I don't. I thought I was narcoleptic.

This article says that sleep problems are pretty common among RPers (people with retinitis pigmentosa).

Since my late twenties I've had a hard time sleeping through the night. I'd wake up around 2 a.m. Sometimes I can fall back to sleep; sometimes I can't. Then when I am wide awake, I get the "morning after" withdrawl symptoms of not sleeping right. I could be reading something and nod off.

I remember during my driving days, I would be fighting sleep on my way home from work. How scary is that? I always blamed it on getting five hours of sleep or interrupted sleep.

Now I don't have to. Or maybe it just compounded the problem, along with stresses in my life.

Still, I thought it was interesting.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At Mon Jun 30, 11:50:00 PM , Blogger Kila said...

Or, maybe we are just getting old ;)

 
At Tue Jul 01, 05:08:00 PM , Blogger Laurie said...

My mother was narcoleptic. She had trouble staying away while she drove my sister to her monthly appointments to Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio years ago (two hours one way.)

She would let my under-age sister drive and that usually woke her up!

 
At Tue Jul 01, 06:22:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Kila-You may have something there. LOL.

Laurie-Two hours? I only had a 20 minute drive, most of it was highway driving. I can't imagine trying to stay awake for two hours. I bet that would keep her awake, having an under-age driver driving. :) Unfortunately, I was alone in the car. I don't miss that part at all. :)

 
At Tue Jul 01, 11:26:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummmm Interesting !!!!! Way back 1975-76 as a newly wed and driving 40 minutes to work mostly interstate. I would get drowsy. So I finally took the bus. Very nice naps both ways!!!! Some people could drive all day to another state. Not me.

My late father had some problem falling asleep anywhere . He had sp?? parathyroids removed. That helped. I do not know how that is related to sleeping. HUGS, Molly CC night night zzz zzzzzzz zz

 
At Wed Jul 02, 11:24:00 AM , Blogger contemporary themes said...

I have a terrible time sleeping. I never sleep through the night! I should probably get that checked out.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home