Thursday, June 12, 2008

Cataracts

Cataracts...


Sounds like the Broadway musical, Cats. Cats and acts. Cats are acting...(okay, that was BAAAD...moving on...)


glitter-graphics.com


Seriously, though, there are three kinds of cataracts:


Nuclear cataracts-This is the kind that is most commonly found in the elderly from the aging process. It starts in the middle of the lens.


Cortical cataracts-This is the kind that is found in diabetics and radioactive exposure to ultraviolet rays. This kind starts at the edges of the lens.


Subcapsular cataracts (or posterior subcapsular cataracts)-This is found in diabetics, too. It is also found in young people and those who took steroids for a long time. These start in the back of the lens. Symptoms include glare and night driving and reading difficulties.


Some causes are age-related, secondary (from a health problem or post-op complications from other eye problems such as glaucoma, smoking, alcohol, and diet), traumatic, certain kinds of medication, congenital, and/or exposure to radiation.

Why am I talking about this? Because people with retinitis pigmentosa (RP) can develop subcapsular cataracts at any age, mostly in the 30s. Some have them in their 20s.

My brother had cataract surgery when he was about 37.

If an RPer were to develop cataracts, it develops in the back of the lens. Smack in the middle. Right where the best remaining sight is. When the peripheral vision is compromised, we still have some central vision left. When cataracts start to interfere with that remaining vision, then cataract surgery should be recommended because what remaining vision an RPer has left is precious. Some doctors want to wait till the cataracts are "ripe." As the RPer deals with the blurring vision from the cataracts, the vision is also progressively getting narrower at the same time. Some RPers have the cataracts removed so they can still enjoy the remaining vision they have. Why wait two years to remove the cataracts when the vision is that much worse, too?

It varies, though, for each doctor and the RPer's condition.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Onyx seems to be better. She was still sick for a couple more days. I think she's better now. (Crossing fingers and toes.) She's getting thin.

When I got up this morning and stepped into the hallway, I could smell the wet smell from the basement. Kind of mildewy and moldy. Ugh. Stinks. Still needs more drying down there. We are expecting more rain. I was reading that it's worse than it was four years ago when we had some flooding and lots of rain. Our basement was the same way. Just the carpets got saturated and anything else that may be in the path of the drain or the floor itself. (Our house is over 100 years old.) I tried to breathe shallow breaths while I was loading clothes into the washer. Ugh.

Ever the negotiator, Angel has a stubborn streak that is bigger than she is. Usually, I can get her to read a book if I agree to read one side. (Of course, if her side happens to have a whole page of typed words and no picture, she'll want to trade. LOL) Sometimes she'll read a book, sometimes she won't. But, when it comes to labels, she'll read them out loud. I am not worried, she is reading at the average level for a child her age.

I hung three loads of laundry on the line. In cool 68 degree weather. With a slight breeze. They must have hung out there a good three hours and were "mostly" dried. The jeans needed more time.

Some clothes were still slightly damp when I brought them back into the house. I put them on hangers, hoping they'll finish drying up that way.

I tested a recipe that was met with mild enthusiam. It really wasn't great, but it'll do. I probably won't make it again. At least, not with all that bread that it required. It was supposed to be a ham and cheese casserole with broccoli and bread cut into tubes mixed in it. Then an egg mixture was poured over it. It's frustrating to try a recipe that didn't look as good as looked on paper. But hey, I'm trying. I am not a fan of cooking, but summer is here and I feel like I have to make everyone happy by cooking more meals. (Too bad there's no hot lunch program for the summer, huh?) Flare got all the ingredients out for me. I really should organize the lazy susan, but even if I did, someone would mess it up on me. I'll have to put that on my "to do" list. Thanks, Flare, for being a helper.

I am going to try to sit down and put together a meal plan, sort of like how the schools have a hot lunch menu for the week. Then I could just get whatever I need from that at the once every three weeks grocery store visit. (Thankfully we have a gas station nearby where we can keep a fresh supply of milk and bread when we run out.) I hope the meal plan idea takes root and it's effective. Old habits die hard, which is opening cabinets and the refrigerator and seeing what I can throw together. Or see what meat I want to thaw out for that day's supper. (See, I'm not organized.) In any case, wish me luck.

Okay. That's all.

OXOX. Later.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At Thu Jun 12, 11:27:00 PM , Blogger Kila said...

The information about cataracts was interesting.

I hope you are safe and dry tonight! This flooding is unbelievable!

 
At Fri Jun 13, 12:51:00 PM , Blogger Breazy said...

My paternal grandmother had cataracts from diabetes. She eventually went completely blind from it. Very interesting post.

I hope the rain stops for you all and soon.

I do meal plans but the thing about mine is I never put in writing what I am making on a particular day so I list the meals I want to make, buy the ingredients, and then I make them on the days that the kids or I want them, sometimes the meals I make are based on how our schedule looks.

Have a great weekend!

 
At Sat Jun 14, 07:22:00 AM , Blogger Beth said...

Interesting about cataracts - my mom has them and now I'm wondering if I'm eventually going to get them. I already have the problem with glare and night driving.
More rain here as well but found out the roof is under warranty and the inside damage is covered too!
Every time I ever planned meals for a week, it never worked out. But it's definitely worth a try.

 
At Sat Jun 14, 09:36:00 AM , Blogger Barrie said...

Thank you for the cataract info.

Good luck with your menu idea. I haven't been so organized lately, but when I am, I do a week's worth of menus. Really keeps us on track with healthier meals. The other thing I do is cook double of some of the meals and freeze the leftovers.

Have a great day! May everything dry out.

 
At Sun Jun 15, 11:07:00 PM , Blogger Amrita said...

My Mom needs a cateract operation.

They say the homeopathic pills Calcarea Flour 6X is good for it.

Its raining a lot here and very damp.

 
At Sun Jun 15, 11:09:00 PM , Blogger Amrita said...

Shari i love eyour glitter graphics. Can you tell me how to post them on my blog?

 
At Mon Jun 16, 08:36:00 AM , Blogger Shari said...

Kila-I know. I couldn't believe it. It was not as bad in our area ass it was by the river. Whoa.

Breazy-I hope my "meal plan" will work. I like your idea; you are not exactly sticking to a scheduled meal plan. It's flexible. More my style (looking for something to throw together.)

Beth-I am glad that it's under warranty. Was hoping it wold be. :)
I have tried it and it never worked yet. I keep thinking maybe it'll work this time. Old habits die hard.

Barrie-I have done this on one of my "I'm going to be more organized" moods. Then it sits in the freezer, forgotten. Hee. Wish me luck.

Amrita-Thanks for the tip. Will have to look into it.

As for the graphics, I just go to the Glitter Graphics site, type a key word like "cat" and look for something I have in mind for a picture. Then I click it and copy the HTML code and paste it to the blogger word processer thingy. (I have classic blogger. I don't have the layouts. So I wouldn't know how those work with grapics, but I have seen other blogs with the layouts who do post pictures, so there's gotta be something. If you have the new blogger, I would just ask another blogger that has it or go to Blogger Help or just google it for some informative hits. (I have done this to get a few HTML tricks.) :)

 
At Wed Jun 18, 08:37:00 PM , Blogger Abbie said...

This was so informative! My mother has diabetes and the beginning of cataracts. I never knew that there was different types of cataracts. I'm going to let my mom take a gander at this.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home