Monday, May 12, 2008

CART

Today was the first I've heard of CART (Commincation Access Realtime Translation) or "realtime captioning."

Am I out of the loop or what? It's been around for a few years.

I just had to investigate this topic. I love the Internet. (Are libraries going to become obsolete? I still like to check out books for free, so maybe not.) ;)

Anyway, CART is mostly used by the hard-of-hearing and d/Deaf (even by those who do not use sign language).

It is an assistive device that provides access to communication by converting the spoken language into written language using a stenotype, notebook computer, and realtime software.

Where was this 20+ years ago when I was mainstreamed? I had no access to interpreters. All I could do was talk with the teachers to make sure I understood what was assigned for homework. This would have been great!! Things are always improving!! Don't you love technology?

I know that when I was going to the local tech college, my interpreters always insisted on closed captionings on videos/movies that were shown. Of course, the instructors couldn't turn off all the lights in the classroom if it wasn't CC so I could see the interpreter. (No brainer there-I'm night-blind. I could see the movie in the dark, but without CC, what's the use? Then again, can a d/Deaf or hard-of-hearing person see anything when it's pitch dark, even if they didn't have retinitis pigmentosa?) It was not easy to try to see the movie without CC and watch the interpreter at the same time.

The ADA (Americans with Disablities Act) supports CART. It did mention that it's still trying to get a foothold at the university/college level. This is surprising. A link was provided to try to gain accessiblity of CART in universities/colleges. Not all deaf or hard-of-hearing students know sign language. They may need more accommodations than just notetakers and FM systems.

Here is another link describing CART.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At Mon May 12, 11:09:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

American Disability Act was signed July 1990. We have come a long way. Still have plenty to do. Heard college kids wish they could use CART. Hearing people miss words too. I have learn a lot of terms from www.hearingloss.org Hearing Loss Assoc of America.
Don't worry about being "out of the loop." HUGS, Molly CC with beautiful bilateral cochlear implants!!!! activated 4/95 and 2/06

 
At Tue May 13, 05:43:00 AM , Blogger Laurie said...

Shari,

I had a similar system when I went back to college. It was called TypeWell but is the same idea. And was a lifesaver for me! CART is great and is supposed to be available to anyone that needs it for schools, doctor appointments, court, and other venues. I still wish I could go to the movie theatre with my family and watch a movie without feeling left out.

How is your CI process coming along?

Take care, Laurie

 
At Tue May 13, 08:06:00 AM , Blogger Abbie said...

I just found out about CART last year! I wish I had this in school. My friend Alex has it in his college classes. The teacher wears a microphone and the transcriber is in Phoenix, Arizona I believe. The entire class is recorded and it comes up on his laptop. When the class if over it is then emailed to him. I really wish I had that available to me in school.

 
At Tue May 13, 09:32:00 PM , Blogger Breazy said...

Shari, I just wanted to come by and say hi, see how you're doing? Hope all is well for you!

 
At Wed May 14, 06:50:00 AM , Blogger Darlene said...

So very cool! I learned something new today...Thank You Shari.
love to you,
xox darlene

 
At Wed May 14, 04:44:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Hi Everyone, I think this is so cool. I wish I had this in school, too. Especially high school. Oh, well. The younger generation can benefit. It's really nice to know that CART is out there for the hearing impaired. :)

 
At Thu May 22, 11:28:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something else that is cool. Recently I got to go to DisneyWorld. They have these hand held captioning devices for most of the rides. So you can see the lyrics, or anything that's spoken by the animatronics. Pretty cool!

Here's a picture of the captioning from the "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarahthebohemian/296941232

 
At Thu May 22, 06:14:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Sarah-That was cool. Thanks for sharing that. I never thought about it being available at DisneyWorld. Now that's what I call "entertainment assessible"!! I don't like going to theaters because there is no captioning available. It's not fun to sit 1 1/2 hours at the movies when you can't hear it. I hear of theaters that provide CC in other areas, but not locally.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home