Monday, April 28, 2008

Extra, Extra!! Read All About It!!


Glitter Graphics


(To the tune of New York, New York... )


Start spreading the news.
I'm excited today.
I want to be a part of it,
A cure, a cure.
We've paid our dues...

I've heard some great news. Will this be a cure? Only time will tell. I try to stay positive that there will be a cure for us. It always seems that a "cure" that is a few years away ends up too far from reach. We've been hearing about "cures" the past 15 years. Dare we hope?

(Releasing some breath here.)

I don't want to get to excited. I don't want to be disappointed.

Foundation Fighting Blindness (FFB) has had some success with Gene Therapy. This was something I mentioned a while back when they first started clinical trials in London, England, with those who have Leber congenital amaurosis (LCA), a severe form of RP (retinitis pigmentosa).

Read all about it here. It's great news. It's a start.

Here is a video of this great news.

My inbox was flooded with emails about the success of Gene Therapy. Everyone's abuzz about this breakthrough.

FFB has many other research projects in the works for all kinds of degenerative eye diseases. Many people donate to FFB to help fund their research and clinical trials. I am one of them. I think it's a worthwhile cause.

Start spreading the news....

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At Mon Apr 28, 09:55:00 PM , Blogger Abbie said...

OMG SHERI!! THis is great news!! I can't wait to see how this will help you!!

 
At Mon Apr 28, 10:50:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Abbie-It's a good step. It's gene specific and I'd like to see how it works for older people. I don't even know the specific Usher gene I have. There's so much research to be done. It's exciting, though. :)

 
At Tue Apr 29, 06:39:00 AM , Blogger Laurie said...

This is wonderful news! I have an uncle who cannot see due to another type of eye disease. There is hope!

Hope you are doing well and staying warm! My husband is in Madison right now and is not prepared for the cold weather you are having!

 
At Tue Apr 29, 07:22:00 AM , Blogger Shari said...

Gene therapy would help those with Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, the possiblities are endless.

A week ago we had temps in the 70s. Now it's dropped to the 40's with cold winds. Ugh. That's weather in WI, eh? I am sure your husband will be glad to be back in TN. :)

 
At Tue Apr 29, 07:54:00 AM , Blogger Breazy said...

Oh my goodness Sheri, that is great news! Keep us posted okay?

HUGS!

 
At Tue Apr 29, 09:57:00 AM , Blogger hillgrandmom said...

This treatment sounds really exciting! I'm sure they will come up with more information soon.

 
At Tue Apr 29, 10:54:00 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

Shari...that would be GREAT!! I would love to see this be the cure that you and countless other Ushers sufferers have been waiting for!!! ((hugs))

 
At Tue Apr 29, 12:07:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Breazy-I'll keep you all posted. Don't worry about that. :) I think it's still a long shot, but a good step nonetheless.

Hillgrandmom-I hope so. Even if they could just freeze the progression, I'd be happy with what I have left.

Jennifer-Good things come to those who wait. My sister has confidence that there WILL be a cure in our lifetime-for all genetic disorders, not just eye diseases. God's will be done. :)

 
At Tue Apr 29, 02:53:00 PM , Blogger Kamis Khlopchyk said...

It sounds fantastic! Keep believing and it will happen:-)

 
At Tue Apr 29, 07:07:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Kami-Thanks.

Keep the prayers coming. :)

 
At Thu May 01, 11:11:00 AM , Blogger Amrita said...

oh great this thrills me too.

 
At Sat May 03, 01:03:00 AM , Blogger contemporary themes said...

Great news. I'm hoping with you and your family.

This is AMAZING information. Thanks for sharing it here.

 
At Sun May 04, 10:10:00 PM , Blogger G said...

Shari, how wonderful is that to get such hopeful news! Best to you and those it may benefit.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home