Friday, April 11, 2008

Brandy


Hubby and I had discussed getting another puppy. When we met, I had Krissi, a Lab/Golden Retriever/Collie mix and he had a Black Lab/Beagle mix. Soon I had to put my Krissi down. She was getting old and sick. I grew up with dogs. I was never without a dog.

When my youngest was two, Hubby's dog was outside on a hot June day. We just installed central air and it was not compatible with our water heater. We had to get a new one. The water heater guy replaced our old water heater. She chose to sleep under the big, shady truck. The man didn't expect to have a dog under his company truck and ran over her.

Two years later, we talked about getting another dog. Hubby saw an ad in the paper for free Lab/Golden Retriever puppies. We named her Baylee. She was kept outside a lot. Hubby wanted to slowly housebreak her. The kids and I took her for many walks. One day, two months after we got her, she disappeared shortly after Halloween that year. Her collar was still connected to the chain. We never found her.

But, another few months later, that Christmas, Hubby brought home Brandy, a Shetland Sheepdog. (A Sheltie, for short, though I don't know why it's not Shetlie, but I digress.) She was no bigger than my hand at six weeks.


She brought more laughter into our lives. She was funny. She barked at everything that moved. It was the herding instinct. She was protective and a bundle of nerves. We were her family and no one was supposed to get near us. If we had family or friends visiting us, it took a little while for her to get her guard down.

The rabbits and squirrels taunted her. She was chained up outside and couldn't chase them. We had her run around sometimes without the chain or leash to fetch frisbees and tennis balls.

She was a part of our family. She did not like to swim, but tolerated baths. Her coat was so beautiful. I couldn't wait till she was two years old for the coat to really fill in.

But one day, two years ago, she got loose and took the opportunity to chase that taunting squirrel into the street.

The man braked, but it was too late. He felt so bad. It all happened so fast. My oldest daughter scooped her up into her arms while Brandy convulsed and drew her last breath.

Brandy (a.k.a. Foxy Lady) can chase all the squirrels and rabbits she wants now, with a full coat.

It took another year and a half before we got another puppy, a Black Lab, now almost 11 months old.

We'll never forget you, Brandy. We'll make room in our hearts for new pets, but you'll never be forgotten.

November 2004 - April 12, 2006

Labels:

4 Comments:

At Fri Apr 11, 12:19:00 PM , Blogger Abbie said...

I'm so sorry. I know nothing else to say but I wanted to share the dog's prayer with you.

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest--and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

You all have my greatest sympathy!

 
At Sat Apr 12, 11:36:00 AM , Blogger Joanna said...

Oh, that's so sad. So sorry and such a cute little thing.

 
At Sun Apr 13, 09:59:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is amazing how they touch our hearts, even for a short time. That unconditional love.
Hugs, Molly CC

 
At Thu May 01, 11:16:00 AM , Blogger Amrita said...

She is such a cute dog. i want to cuddle her

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home