Tuesday, June 10, 2008

CI Update



An appeal was made on my behalf for coverage of a CI (cochlear implant). It was sent around May 22. The appealer informed me that she contacted the insurance company to see if they got the letter. They said they got it, but sent back a letter saying that the information in the appeal letter didn't really "make a case" so to speak. My appealer told the person on the phone to take a good look at the letter she sent and read it. The person did and agreed that the information contained in the appeal letter did indeed qualify as an appeal. She then said that it would take about a month to review it. (I can't help but laugh at the obvious run-around and good use of the six-month time limit to appeal and get approval. Yeah, I'm frustrated, too.)

Before the appeal was sent, I sent the insurance company a letter asking what findings they had that made them think that CIs were not proven safe and effective? I have not heard from them at all. I should have made that letter certified. (I do not trust this insurance company one whit.) But since the appeal letter was sent, I didn't query the insurance company to see if my letter was received.

Will keep you posted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We all watched The Eye, a movie starring Jessica Alba. Somehow it was predictable, because I have seen movies with a similar plot. The donor of the cornea manifests herself into the character's eyes and she starts seeing dead people and having the donor's memories and predictions. Hubby was able to rig the DVD to the tv's captioning instead of the DVD's captioning. Yay. I don't like subtitle-like captions.

Hubby bought a magazine chockful of recipes for me. Half of them were slowcooker recipes. Yay. What surprised me most was that it cost $8. I can't see Hubby buying a magazine that cost that much. Bonus: I found a lot of useful recipes I want to try out. Thanks, Hubs. (He knows that the woman's best friend is the crockpot, not diamonds-at least this woman's best friend. Hee.)

Got over 6" of rain last week. The basement was holding up pretty good, then yesterday we found that the carpeting (all remmant carpeting) were saturated with water, so we rolled up the carpet pieces and took them outside. It wasn't heavy, just enough to soak the carpets and anything touching the basement floor. We have fans going all night and all day down there. The carpeting just got in the way when the water needed roll towards the drain. At least it wasn't as bad as the others were-with sewer backups and maybe a depth of a foot of wading water in the basement. :)

Okay, gotta start keeping the posts short. :)

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At Tue Jun 10, 04:08:00 PM , Blogger Beth said...

Re: the appeal - stay with it and keep copies of every little bit of correspondence. You're battling a big company but you can do it!

You're flooding in the basement - I'm flooding from the roof down. This rain has got to stop!

 
At Tue Jun 10, 11:08:00 PM , Blogger Breazy said...

We are in desperate need of rain and wouldn't ya know that thunderstorms are literally all around us. We did have a pretty lightning show last night but no rain.

Those movies that tell the tale of a person receiving someone elses organs/parts and then taking on that deceased persons character upset me.

Sorry to hear about the flooding and I hope it gets better soon!

 
At Wed Jun 11, 07:27:00 AM , Blogger lime said...

insurance companies are evil. they figure if they deny you you'll go away. i'm sorry you have to fight tooth and nail for something so obviously beneficial for you.

 
At Thu Jun 12, 10:19:00 AM , Blogger Amrita said...

I think I 've seen that movie. They have made a Hindi version of it.Pretty scary

 
At Thu Jun 12, 11:36:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't give up! (I know you won't, but I thought I'd give you some extra encouragement!) It aggravates me so much that the insurance company is doing this to you.

Wouldn't you like to just put that insurance adjuster in your shoes for a couple of days?! Boy, I bet they'd approve the CI in a heartbeat then.

I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you!!

~ Wendi

 
At Thu Jun 12, 04:23:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Beth-Good one. From top to bottom. we have flooding. I have saved all documentations. :)

Breazy-I'll do a rain dance for you, but I'll have to go to TN to do that. Any rain dancing I do here may entail more rain here. Don't need it. We still have flash flood advisories here. Ugh.

Lime-This insurance company picked on the wrong consumer. Many other ins. co. are approving CIs. "Not proven safe and effective." Pfft.

Amrita-I've seen one too many of these kind of shows with the donor recipient getting something more than they bargained for from the donor. Different story, same plot.

SS-I'm not giving up yet. Only worried about the six month timeframe we have to fight it. Should be up at the end of August.

Thanks for all your support, everyone. :) HUGS

 
At Wed Jun 18, 08:20:00 AM , Blogger Abbie said...

Hey Shari, who is your insurance company again? Making people aware that this company is slacking in revising their policy through the blogs could prove to be a little helpful.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home