Monday, July 14, 2008

Goings-On

Nothing much happened during the weekend. Hubs went fishing and got a few walleyes. One was bigger than the one he mounted two years ago. He's waiting for a specific size and that wasn't big enough. LOL.

Since Flare had her weekend with her dad, we didn't have a babysitter for Angel. So we took her along with us for Hubby's birthday. We had fish. I was surprised because he wanted prime rib. (I don't even know what part of the cow that is!! (I know. It says "rib" tht should be a good hint.) You don't see them labeled like that in the grocery store. Porterhouse, sirloin, T-bone, rump roast,....but not prime rib. Go figure!!)

It's been cooler here. The central air has been turned off and windows were opened to let in the cool breeze. Hubby had the fan blowing in our room with the window open to circulate air. For some reason, I detest sleeping with windows and/or fans blowing when I am sleeping. I just feel "cold" and wake up stuffy. Good thing for me that Hubby stays up late so I don't have to feel the fan blowing at me ALL night. :)

Hubby took Onyx to the place where they train dogs for hunting. Sort of a dog hunting camp. Anyway, they had her go into the water and stuff. She just didn't have much interest in getting anyting out of the water. She isn't aggressive enough for hunting.

The trainer also noted that she wasn't a purebred black Lab. (I was wondering about that, but the adoption papers only listed "black Lab"). She has "brown boots," so we were thinking that she was mixed with the chocolate Lab. The trainer thought that she was part rottweiler, then he heard her bark. To him, it was a hound bark. But I don't care. She's our dog. I'm a mutt, too. Part Irish-Scottish, Danish-Dutch, and German. I'm still an American. She's an American dog. 'Nuff said.

So Hubby's just going to try it on his own once the hunting season opens for ducks.

As soon as Flare got dropped off last night, our house was like honey to a bee. A major attraction. Kids seemed to come out of the woodwork. One girl was showing off her new skill: Biking no-handed. Another was riding her bike with a smaller child standing on the middle part of the tire that sticks out. I was worried about that and said something, but I'm not their mom, so they just moved on to another area of the street. Kids. No helmet!! Acck.

Angel always complains that the kids make fun of her when she wears her helmet. I say, "I don't care. If I were their mom, they'd be wearing them, too."

I did a presentation for a college class several years ago on bike helmet safety. Just falling two feet (at a gravitational pull of 25 miles per hour) is enough to cause a concussion and possible permanent brain damage. However, once you fall from your bike with a helmet on, a new helmet must replace it because the foam inside the helmet is crushed and won't protect you when you fall again (Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute, 2007).

So that's my stand on bike helmets. I've made them wear bike helmets from the get-go. After my research on it for my presentation, I have more ammunition for arguments. :)

The soreness in my arm went away in about three days. For tetanus shots, I remember, my arm would be sore for a week. Speaking of which, I will need another one soon. Here we go again. :)

I know that I am blogging so irregularly. Sorry. What can I say? It's SUMMER!!! :)

I'll talk more about the CI surgery. Right now I just want to keep my mind OFF of it. Or I will start freaking out. LOL

OXOX

Labels:

12 Comments:

At Mon Jul 14, 10:33:00 AM , Blogger Nessa said...

I love sleeping with fans going. I snuggle deeper under the covers.

Our dog is not aggressive enough to hunt either, unless you can catch something with kisses; D

 
At Mon Jul 14, 11:03:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm like you -- I prefer not to have fans blowing on me when I'm sleeping, or windows open if it's going to be cold at night.

Dave will aim the fan so it only hits him, which works for me. That way the air circulates but doesn't feel like it's blowing right on me! I hate waking up feeling like I have a sore throat or stuffed up nose from an open window or fan. :-0

To me it still doesn't seem real that surgery is just over a week away. Here we go, Shari!! :)

~ Wendi

 
At Mon Jul 14, 07:44:00 PM , Blogger Becky said...

When we used to have a fan sitting on a piece of furniture blowing on us, I'd get that stuffy/sore throat feeling in the mornings...but having one hanging over our bed didn't seem to have the same effect.

 
At Mon Jul 14, 09:09:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love having a fan blowing on me at night. It makes me sleep so well!

My Sadie would never make a good hunting dog either (however my husband is not a hunter) she is huge, looks like she would be a great hunting dog, but is too passive and gentle. We are not sure what her breed is either, we get so many opinions, but I just know I love her.

You know I am totally with you on the bike helmets. It is a law here in New York, but even if it wasn't, my kids would wear them. After Hannah's concussion, I learned so much. Very scary stuff.

Can't wait to hear more about your surgery. I am so happy for you.

 
At Tue Jul 15, 12:01:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Shari. Sounds like our nice, cooler weather will end tomorrow!

I like your new colors here.

My boys started out always wearing bike helmets. Now, not so much, because they are off and on their bikes constantly throughout the day. But, yes, they really should wear them. (My oldest needs knee pads, too--he's constantly getting scraped knees!)

 
At Tue Jul 15, 08:09:00 AM , Blogger Shari said...

Messa-I wish I could feel that way, but I would prefer that he just aims it at him, but it's the kind that moves left to right.

Wendi-Me, too. ALready counting down the days.

Glad I am not the only one who doesn't like fans blowing on me during the night.

Becky-Hmmm. Sometimes Hubs would have the ceiling fan going and it'd just bug me, too. Oh, well. At least Hubby's happy.

Eileen-It's not a law here, but I wish it was. The police do hand out free ice cream tickets to the kids they spot wearing bike helmets as an incentive/message to others.

We love our pets no matter what.
I'll be journaling about my CI. :)

Kila-The new colors are temp. Actually, they were the ones I had before. I just copied the HTML template and saved it for when I wanted to switch back. I will go back to the black later. It's easier on RPer's eyes to read in a dark background with yellow font.

It's a habit for the girls. Bike helmets go on before they use it. I do get upset when Angel just drops her helmet on the ground. Any impact with the helmet makes it less safe because of the foam being damaged.

 
At Tue Jul 15, 01:05:00 PM , Blogger Beth said...

Yes to bike helmets!
And another "yes!" to owning dear, sweet mutts.
Enjoy the summer - 'tis the season when all bloggers get a little "irregular."

 
At Tue Jul 15, 02:10:00 PM , Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Good luck with your surgery Shari and give the puppy a pat for me!

 
At Tue Jul 15, 08:06:00 PM , Blogger Kellan said...

I am all for helmet too! My kids complain, but I still have them wear them!

Take care - Kellan

 
At Thu Jul 17, 01:33:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

beth-Glad you agree.

Michelle-Thanks. Good to see you again.

Kellan-WI does not enforce bike helmets , but I wish they would. Glad to see mothers on my side. :)

 
At Mon Jul 28, 01:02:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Keep the helmets on them! When I was 10, I was at a friends and fell off my bike. I vaguely remember getting up and feeling like I was in a tunnel (concussion!). My friend's parents weren't too concerned because I didn't cry too much (always have had a high pain tolerance).
4 hours later, my parents picked me up, completely unaware of what'd happened. Once they saw my road rashed face, they asked if I was wearing my helmet (of course I had, they'd raised me well :) ) They then were appalled to find a half-inch dent in my helmet foam right over my temple. Because I looked fine on the exterior (minus the rash) and didn't know that having tunnel vision was NOT good and thus didn't tell them about it, I went home and the whole incident was forgotten.

Two months later, the audiologist said I'd had a noticeable drop in hearing in one ear. After many tests, they concluded it was from the bike fall.

I can only imagine what would have happened had I NOT been wearing my helmet!!! Keep em on! And make sure the straps are snug!

 
At Mon Jul 28, 01:35:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Sarah-Yes, those straps got to be snug. Just two fingers should fit between your chin and the strap. That was told to me by a cop when I asked. I used to get angry with Angel when she wore her helmet loose. I told her it won't protect her in a fall. It could just fall off. She kept pinching her chin. Had to find a good helmet with a good pinch guard for the chin.

I'm glad you didn't suffer worse. I was reading about a kid who got hit by a car while riding the bike and became an invalid for life.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home