Friday, July 18, 2008

Pre-Op



No innuendo meant by the graphic's phrase "Have you ever played doctor?" It was meant as it would be in a child's innocent eyes.


Well, I took the muggy 30 minute walk to the clinic for the pre-op stuff.

Stepped into a puddle of water halfway to the clinic. Make that a nice foot-sogged walk to the clinic.

I saw the nice splothes on my socks from aforementioned mishap into a puddle. Hmm, no time to do a psychology test of what I see in those splotches. Nice dirty splotches by the toe area. I see splotches on a sock, silly. After all, splotches are splotches. Only difference is the size and shape. Show me a cloud. Now we're talkin'. I'm more imaginative with that. Why not use that to check my mental capabilities?

Got blood drawn (nice of you, vein, to show up for the lab tech) for bleeding time (to see if I am not a bleeder and how fast my blood clots or scabs over, I call it thrombo-time.), a CBC (complete blood count), and another one for my kidney function (didn't hear exactly what it was). No EKG, though. The doctor didn't think that I needed one. I also had my blood pressure checked and it is normal. (Guess that's the only thing "normal" about me, LOL)

She checked my ears. Yep, still there.

I did a pretty good imitation of "ahhh" for her as she looked down my throat. I wonder if she saw butterflies down there? Okay, I wasn't nervous at all. So I don't think she saw anything.

I am CALM. Heart's beating normally. Breathing is normal. . I know all the risks. But look what I can gain-better hearing, along with a nice big fat juicy hospital bill.

I am thinking (Oh oh, look out), can I make my head bra (you know, the gauze that gets wrapped snugly around the head to keep pressure on the ear) look sporty or fashionable? Stylish? Wouldn't that be fun? Let's find a really cool bandanna. (Does gauze come in different colors? Well, a girl's gotta look nice.)

To be honest with you all, I am calm. Amazingly calm. (I was like this when I had to take tests or for my weddings-married twice. Also for presentations. Until the first few hours before an event, I usually don't break a sweat (now why do they phrase it that way? How can a sweat be broken? It's wet. Duh.)

As far am my calmness goes, it's the calm before the storm. Ask me on the very day of my surgery. For sure I will have very strong energetic grasshoppers bouncing around in my stomach. Dare I back out at the last minute? NOT.

Don't get me wrong, I do get panic attacks here and there, but brush it aside. In the meantime, still staying busy....

Thanks for your your good vibes, thoughts, and prayers. Much appreciated.

OXOX

Labels:

11 Comments:

At Fri Jul 18, 06:52:00 AM , Blogger Beth said...

Glad the pre-op went well (aside from your pre-pre-op puddle mishap).
You'll be fine, sweetie. And staying busy is good.
I'm thinking of you! And will be in five days!

 
At Fri Jul 18, 03:08:00 PM , Blogger Laurie said...

I'm excited for you. . . I love the calm before the storm. . .those are the prayers of your friends walking with you!

Hugs! You will be fine!

Laurie

 
At Fri Jul 18, 05:42:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Beth and Laurie: My new mantra: Everythign will be fine..I'm gonna be fine..:) Thanks for your ongoing support. :) HUGS

 
At Fri Jul 18, 08:12:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another step closer! Yay! I'll say prayers for you :)

 
At Fri Jul 18, 08:39:00 PM , Blogger Candice said...

Wow! That came fast! Congrats! I can't believe it's only 5 days away.

Can't wait to hear more about how it goes.

 
At Fri Jul 18, 10:20:00 PM , Blogger G said...

Shari, I was so excited for you when I read your comment on my blog! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers throughout. This is so amazing. Keep the calm going until the anesthesia kicks in :)

Best to you. ~ G

 
At Fri Jul 18, 11:13:00 PM , Blogger Amrita said...

Pray everything goes well Shari

 
At Sat Jul 19, 03:31:00 AM , Blogger contemporary themes said...

I am praying for you. I'm with Beth. You'll be fine. Breathe deeply. We are all rooting for you.

 
At Sat Jul 19, 09:05:00 AM , Blogger Shari said...

Thansk everyone for your thoughts. I'm still doing okay. It's kind of like a day-to-day thing. Just routine.

HUGS

 
At Sat Jul 19, 11:14:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

For my first C I, I had to be at the hospital very early. Asked the doctor, "what happens if my alarm does not go off, or I over sleep???" Said he was not worried. He was right. I did not sleep much the night before. But figured I would catch up when I got home. When you get home after surgery, jusp nap all you want.

A thousand HUGS to you!!!!!
Molly CC

 
At Sun Jul 20, 01:02:00 AM , Blogger Becky said...

I'm with Molly...when it's all over, nap all you want. ;)

Praying for you! Hugs!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home