Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Cuts Like a Knife


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Last Saturday we went to Wal*Mart to get some stuff I might need, such as antibiotic cream, along with some groceries (quick-fix-it meals).

I saw one of the interpreters from the college and told her about the upcoming CI surgery. She was shopping with her daughter. (Hi, waving at her when she reads this.)

I saw my hearing sister and her husband there. They were talking to someone, but I didn’t want to walk by without looking like a snob, so I waved. And waved. And waved. Finally, they saw me and waved back. I continued on, looking for a kitchen item and bumped into them again. And once more when I was going to look at some eggs. I heard a voice that made me jump. I turn to see them laughing. In retrospect, kind of like an instant replay, I realized he said “broke” like the eggs were broken or I broke the eggs. They seemed to be in a hurry so we didn’t really say much.

After putting all our stuff away, Hubby says that we are all going to the lake to see my mom. My mom lives with my other sister who also has Usher syndrome and her husband. They live on a lake. In fact, they live on what used to be my grandparents’ land. They tore down the old house and Grampa's workshop/garage and had their custom-built ranch put in. It’s right next to my childhood home. Every time I go visit my sister, it kind of hurts to see my old home, the house I grew up in, because the siding has been changed and everything. My mom had to sell the house about five years ago. It’s almost like a dream that I once lived in the house. At least I have my memories. I don’t know why I’m so sentimental about it. People move and buy houses all the time. It was not my place to tell her not to sell it. I couldn’t be that selfish knowing that the house was too expensive for her to upkeep and that there was no way I could help, too.

Anyway, the girls got to go swimming. We brought Onyx with us and she was in and out of the water. She met my sister’s yellow Lab. My hearing sister’s (the one I bumped into at Wal*Mart earlier) two girls were spending a few days at the lake. Our family does not get together very often. We are lucky to see each other two or three times a year. I guess we have our own lives. Add in the fact that half of us have Usher syndrome, so we can’t go around visiting anytime we want.

My brother (also with Usher) and niece were also there. Talk about a mini-family reunion!! My brother was out there for a swim, too. When I first saw him, I thought for a moment that he was my oldest brother. They look so much alike.

I was starting to think that it must have been some kind of harbinger, because I was seeing half of my family in one day. Was something serious going to happen to me during the CI surgery? Is this why I was seeing them? I shake that thought out of my head. It didn’t mean anything. I’m not going to die on the operating table. The risk is very small, if at all.

We joke around a bit and then my brother’s wife stopped by to pick them up. She dropped them off earlier.

It was good to see them. All my nieces are growing. They all seem pretty tall for their age, too. The girls were glad to see their cousins, especially Flare, because they are much closer in age, one being a year ahead of her and the other being a year behind her. They attend different schools, though.

I am going to be away from the computer for the next few days. I say this, but I honestly don’t know when I’ll be up to blogging. I guess I will have to play it by ear, literally.
I will try to catch up on my blog rounds when I can. Some people who had CI surgery had made a blog post the same day as their surgeries, but I am not going to push it. I just want to get it over with and recuperate and speed up my recovery time if I can. And speed up the regrowth of the shaved area of my head behind my ear. I am hoping that my hair is thick enough to cover that spot. Of course, the shaved area is the least of my worries. Itchiness of the incision and infection are my main concerns. Antibiotic cream (a.k.a. generic Neosporin) to the rescue. :)

Thanks again for all your good vibes, thoughts, and prayers.

I hope Wendi and Karen will have a successful and speedy recovery, too. I was thinking of them all day, especially this morning while they were in surgery. I am excited for them, too. (Lucky them, winks, they'll be recovering the next day when it's MY turn under the knife.) May the Lord guide the surgeon's hands for all of us.
BTW, the girls will spend the night (or two) with Gramma at my sister's. Hubby will drop them off there today. I am not sure if they will be back tomorrow night or the day after. I guess I should milk it during my recovery and get spoiled. ;)
P.S. We have to be at the hospital tomorrow by 6:30 a.m. and the surgery's scheduled for 8:30 a.m. On average, surgery takes about three hours. For a moment there, tiny butterflies fluttered in my stomach at the thought. It's gone now, but I am sure they'll be back in the morning.

OXOX

Labels:

12 Comments:

At Tue Jul 22, 07:43:00 PM , Blogger Beth said...

I'll think of you tomorrow at 8:30!
Everything will go well.
And how wonderful that you were able to spend time with your family at the lake.
Don't rush back to blogging. Take all the time you need to recover. We'll be here waiting...
Hugs to you!

 
At Tue Jul 22, 08:29:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes thinking about you!!!! Remember babies and even 92 year old people have had the C I surgery. So you can too!!!!

Thousand HUGS to YOU!!!! Molly CC

 
At Tue Jul 22, 09:10:00 PM , Blogger Laurie said...

Thinking of you! You will do great!

Hugs!

 
At Tue Jul 22, 10:13:00 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

Wendi and Karen are both fine! You're going to do great...I know you will! I'm so excited for you!! (((hugs)))

 
At Wed Jul 23, 12:08:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be thinking of you and praying for you!

 
At Wed Jul 23, 07:51:00 AM , Blogger Beth said...

It's Wednesday morning - I'm thinking of you. You were (are) in my prayers.

 
At Wed Jul 23, 10:08:00 AM , Blogger Abbie said...

Shari,

You are in my thoughts dear! I meant to send you an email last night but time got away from me! I'm channeling all my positive energy here for you!

 
At Wed Jul 23, 10:24:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shari, honey, I am sending ALL kinds of good thoughts and prayers your way! You are in surgery right now.

Speaking from experience (LOL), the pain pills are your friend. :) And lots of rest!! I'm up at the computer for a short bit (no laptop here) but I'll be back on the couch in 10 minutes. I just wanted to send you my love and wish you well!

Big hugs,

Wendi

 
At Wed Jul 23, 12:56:00 PM , Blogger Sheila said...

Well-wishes coming your way from a fellow CIer in Florida. Be good to yourself and let others help you as you recover.

Prayerfully,
Sheila

 
At Wed Jul 23, 02:09:00 PM , Blogger Breazy said...

I have been sending prayers out all morning for you Shari and I can't wait until you are feeling up to doing a post so that we all know how things went.

Blessings!

 
At Wed Jul 23, 02:18:00 PM , Blogger Kim said...

"Happy Ear Day to YOUUUUUU!!!!" Thinking of you and wishing you a very happy day

Kim

 
At Wed Jul 23, 10:13:00 PM , Blogger Deb said...

Best wishes for a great recovery and activation! I had CI surgery on Monday myself! I have the laptop in bed with me...I am not going to push the recovery either!

Take Care,
Deb

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home