Saturday, July 26, 2008

Operation Magnette Pt. 2: The Unveiling

Two days after surgery:

I had been sleeping about two hours at a time during the night. The recliner isn’t exactly the most comfortable place to sleep all night with a tight mastoid dressing (head bra). My head felt heavy.

I took a painkiller around 5 a.m. and then took my antibiotic around 7 a.m. My stomach was churning a bit, but I wanted to post an update. Then while typing, my nausea took over.

I went back to the recliner and napped some more. I stopped taking painkillers. I thought that the pain was tolerable. I was more uncomfortable with that tight band around my head. I managed to eat a toast down. Then I ate an Eggo waffle a few hours later. I tried to keep sipping water to stay hydrated. I was working on cutting my carbs, but the toast seemed to stay down. So I'll work on watching the carbs once I feel better.

Hubby didn’t want me to take the head bra off till the next morning.

I ate a skinless, boneless chicken breast for supper. Amazingly, the nausea was gone. The heat I felt in my face was gone. I am blaming the painkillers for causing the heat flash in my face and the nausea.

Flare had to go over to her dad’s for the weekend. I asked her if he could wait till morning to pick her up, but she shook her head. I asked, “He didn’t want to? Or did you just want to get out of the house?” I couldn’t blame her. A lot of responsibility fell on her young 13-year-old shoulders playing nursemaid to her mom. She slept almost all day herself. She was tired because of all the nausea attacks I had and the bathroom trips I took and getting my meds.

During the evening, I realized that my sore throat was gone. Yay. There was a cut inside my mouth from the tube that they put in my mouth. It's healing, too.

My tongue is still numb-like on the implanted side.

Angel catered to me for a while, getting me a popsicle and fresh water when I needed it.

She camped out on the loveseat for the third night in a row.

Hubby watched TV all night. I dozed off and on fitfully.

Three days after surgery:

At five in the morning (Yes, he ws up all night unless he fell asleep with the TV on), he cut off the head bra. Oh, that felt so goooood. I have a huge zit in the middle of my forehead from it. I jumped into the shower and tried to wash off all that goop in my hair. It was yucky. I holler for Hubby to check if I got all that stuff out of my hair. He nods.

I look awful and swollen yet. I put my hair up so that my hair wouldn’t touch the incision. I didn’t bother trying to blowdry my hair and let it air dry. I look like a frump.


I got brave and looked at my incision. I did not get as much hair shaved off as I thought I would. Thank you, doctor!!

I am walking around better. I wasn't really dizzy at all except for the first time I got up in the hospital. I lost five pounds in the last three days. Most of it is probably water. I still feel weak. I am not feeling any pain. I do feel something by my ear, but it’s okay. It's numb and probably will be for a while.

I have an appt to get stitches taken out on Aug. 5.

My activation/hookup date is Aug. 25.
Two week follow-up map is Sept 9
One month map Sept. 23.

There will also be a 3, 6, and a year MAPping appts, too. (Mappings are adjustments that are cutsum-made to a CIer's hearing ablity and comfort level.) These appts reminds me of well-baby check-ups. Right now, my CI is a sleeping baby.



I am already trying to come up with a snappy name for my new baby. A fellow blogger named hers Thing 1 and Thing 2 (bilaterals). Cute.



I did have some pictures taken with Flare’s camera, but I have a hard time uploading anything from her Easy Share file. I don’t know why that is. I do have pictures taken with my camera, but will have to use up the roll of film first and get it developed. It’s not going to be looking my best, I can guarantee you that. But if I can figure out how to upload Flare’s Easy Share files, that’ll save time. I haven’t taken a picture of my stitches yet. Maybe someone out there can give me some tips about Easy Share?

Well, that’s it for now.

OXOX

Labels:

11 Comments:

At Sat Jul 26, 11:34:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, you got your bandage off! That is great!! :)

I've been curious if I lost weight but my scale is downstairs -- we have a raised ranch so I'd have to go down 2 flights of stairs to get there. I'm not that curious, just yet. LOL!

Sleeping is hard, isn't it? I'm about ready to move to regular Tylenol too -- I get nauseated from painkillers too, unless I'm in major pain. I have to break them in half.

I'm so glad your family is pampering you -- you deserve it!! I sure wish I could offer some EasyShare advice to help with the pictures. :)

I love long blog posts -- and short ones too! It's just great to hear from you and keep up with how you are doing.

Big hugs,

Wendi

 
At Sat Jul 26, 12:41:00 PM , Blogger lime said...

glad to hear things have gone mostly well. for me anasthesia is what makes me nauseous for a few days after surgery but glad to hear it has passed for you. hope the numb tongue perks up soon.

 
At Sat Jul 26, 11:14:00 PM , Blogger Becky said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better!

I remember the painkillers after my c-section made me feel worse than the pain did, crazy as that sounds.

Hope you're feeling your usual good self soon. And I vote for "Bionic Ear". You're the Bionic Woman now, after all!

 
At Sun Jul 27, 05:10:00 AM , Blogger hillgrandmom said...

Shari *hugs* to you!.

 
At Sun Jul 27, 08:06:00 AM , Blogger Amrita said...

Good to hear your surgery went well Shari. May you fully recover soon. Hugs

Your daughter are very caring

 
At Sun Jul 27, 10:18:00 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

It sounds like you're doing great! Hooray for the doc not shaving too much hair...that's always a good thing! I hope you're over the hump pain-wise and that every day just gets better from here on out. I'm so excited that you have taken this giant step...exciting things are ahead!! ((hugs))

 
At Sun Jul 27, 03:53:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Wendi-It's great to keep up with how you are doing, too.

Got some company here for a couple of days so don't know when I will get another post up. Maybe Tuesday.

Lime-I recall getting nauseous when the epidural wore off after my c-section with Angel. The taste nerve gets affected a lot during the CI surgery, but the numbness in the tongue wears off eventually. :) Thanks for commenting.


Becky-I just commented about the nauseousness I had with the epidural with the c-section in the above comment. Many of us just can't avoid that, I guess. Thanks for all your thoughts, support, and prayers. HUGS


Hillgrandmom-HUGS right back to you. :)

Amrita-Thank you. My girls are a blessing in many ways, though they do have their moments. :)

Jennifer-Thank you. I'll be thinking of you when you have the re-implant next month. Right now it's still hard to turn my neck.

 
At Sun Jul 27, 08:05:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to read an update from you. You sound good, like yourself :) I hope you keep feeling better each day.

Oh, I can help you with posting photos from Easy Share. Is it finding them that is giving you a hard time? After you click on the photo icon to add a photo, click on My Computer, then Shared Documents, then Shared Pictures, then Kodak Pictures, and then click on the file that the photo is in, and then click on the photo you want.

 
At Sun Jul 27, 08:55:00 PM , Blogger Abbie said...

This is a great update! You are recovery quite nicely. I was waking up every couple hours but it seemed like the second that my pain medication wore off it would wake me up. I can almost feel your relief when you removed the head bra. That is awesome that your doctor hardly removed any hair :) The 25th is not that far away!

 
At Sun Jul 27, 09:50:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shari,
Sounds like you are doing great. Just takes time to heal.

Snappy name, I do not have any cute name for my C I. Just "my ears."

The waiting period..... just keep busy. Aug 25th will be here before you know it.

HUGS, Molly CC

 
At Mon Jul 28, 06:35:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Kila-I think it's more about the Internet access option/proxy server thing. I have no problems finding the picture I want. It just won't upload.

Abbie-I can't imagine doing this again. Of course, I said that with my first baby. LOL Time will fly, that's true.

Molly-I have to give my baby CI a name. LOL Time flew for me for a lot of things, so this should not be any different. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home