Sunday, March 04, 2007

Update on the New Hearing AIds

I am picking up environmental sounds more than I am picking up voices.

I hear more details, such as the humming of the refrigerator. I swung the back door to close it and heard it's "groan" (It creaked!) as it shut. Freaked me out. I thought someone was there.

The voices, though, are more...it's hard to describe....lowered. It's like I am hearing it at a distance, but at a lower pitch.

It may take more time to adjust the brain to "hear" with these aids. I do have that follow-up in twoo weeks. The audie may have to tweak it some more. Sometimes it takes about four "tweaking" appointments to get it just right.

My bad ear: Well, the roar is more like a long never-ending dong of a bell. Keeps vibrating, never stopping. It's on full power and I test it once in a while by turning off the other hearing aid to check if I can pick up anything with it, but....nothing. Nada. Zilch.

I am still giving it time. Sometimes it just doesn't happen overnight.

I think that these hearing aids work up to 132 Dbs (decibels). My hearing loss in that ear can go into the 110-120 Db range.

Who knows? Maybe I will try other brands until I find one that works.

Then again, there's always the Cochlear Implant, but only as a last resort.

I look back on how much I was able to hear in that ear when I was younger. It's amazing that it dropped that much.

When I found out I had Usher Syndrome, I thought that I would rather lose all my hearing than lose my eyesight. I was used to the frustrations that came with hearing loss.

Now that they are both declining, I feel like I jinxed myself.

The more my eyesight goes; the more I want to hear. But I will say it again, given a choice, I choose deafness over blindness.

Still praying for a cure for RP...

1 Comments:

At Mon Mar 05, 12:26:00 AM , Blogger Karma said...

Well at least the technologies are constantly improving. What a horrible thing to have to go to - no one should have to choose - not that we even get to choose.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home