Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Saved by the Bell

Or rather, Saved by the Whistle!

When I started dating, I found I had a built-in alarm that “protected” me from guys. I told my dad about it and he liked it that I had this “alarm.” This was better than keeping thirty-five cents (to use on a pay phone) in my pocket in case of emergency. (My dad liked to make sure we were okay.)

All my date had to do was get too close to me. If we danced, my hearing aids would whistle.

It’s not something you expect to happen when you dance with someone!! My dancing partner would jump back in surprise when that “Don’t Get to Close to My Daughter” alarm went off. (I am sure that a father invented the hearing aid for his daughter. Okay, I'll get serious.)

Anything that would get within close proximity to my ears would cause it to whistle. I could be brushing my hair near my ear or get too close to something. And off it goes.

There’s another “alarm” system in place with the hearing aids. If I got too close to the wall or a door or something, it’s like “feelers” or antennas-it would whistle, especially when the tubes that connected the ear molds to my hearing aids get too old and hard and need to be replaced. It would keep me from adding more dents to my skull. (Of course, it doesn't always work if I am moving too fast. Wham! Head meets door.)

It all has something to do with the feedback and air blockage or something that causes my hearing aid to whistle. It does get annoying. I did mention in a previous post that if the ear molds don't fit right, they will whistle.

Hmmm, I wonder if I could come up with something for my girls when they start dating? Some kind of built-in alarm that would warn the guys not to get to close? Well, a mother can dream…what about those cellphones? No need for keeping change for pay phones.

.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At Fri Feb 16, 11:27:00 AM , Blogger Heather said...

My father has hearing aids that emit an alarm similar to yours. If I got mad at him (which was often) I'd wave my hands in front of his ears so the alarm would go off. Man, I was a bitch! It's kind of funny when I look back on it now, though.

~Amalia~

 
At Fri Feb 16, 03:25:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Amalia,

I am sure that all hearing aids whistle when something gets too close to the ear. Sometimes it whistles when I laugh because of the muscles in the cheeks affect the ear, so more air goes in the ear, but that is only when the tubes are old and need to be replaced.

Just last night, my youngest gave me a night-night hug before bed and kept moving her head near my ear to make it go off. Little stinker!! She thought it was a game until I turned off my hearing aids.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home