Friday, February 16, 2007

Fears of Growing Old

It is so interesting to compare degrees of hearing loss and vision loss from Usher Syndrome. Those of us who have siblings with Usher Syndrome may have different rates of progression or were born with varying degress of loss to begin with. It doesn't matter if a male or female sibling is worse than the other. Usher Syndrome does not work in predictable ways. In the same way, an older sibling may have better vision than a younger one or visa versa.

I still can't help but think that stress plays a big role in the outcome. If you have cancer, stress can worsen or spread the disease faster, can't it?

Stressors such as jobs, strained relationships, pregnancies (if pregnancy can affect the mother's calcuim, potassium, and magnisium, why not the protein (look at the subheading:What genes are related to Usher Syndrome? in this website). Here's more on the proteins.

A lot of things can affect those genes, even stress. And the normal aging process.

Some people have fears about growing old. More wrinkles. Gray hair. Thinner skin. Some things are not as easy to do anymore-the body's getting weaker.

I have my own fears about growing old: More progressive loss of vision (and hearing) as I grow older. I wish I could just "freeze" the progression or stay in remission from now on. When I was younger, I could hear and see so much better. Now the older I get, the more vision and hearing I lose.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At Fri Feb 16, 09:12:00 PM , Blogger Sue Flaska said...

Interesting post. I'll share with you what I know or have been told etc etc. You commented on cancer and how stress can make it worse and so forth. I have also read that people who have held in their emotions and/or women who have been sexually abused have a higher risk of getting breast cancer. Is this true? I don't know. Could be.

I also know that cancer cells are in everyone and are awoken, or triggered, by something. Not that everyone will get cancer, but everyone has the potential. In my case, I think that my 3 pregnancies back to back played a role and the fact that my cancer grew faster with estrogen.

So here's my thought. You said that you want to freeze time right now, and I am sure that you do with all that you have been through and will go through. For me, I want to go back in time and freeze it then, as long as I could still have both girls. Life is interesting. It tends to move fast if you like it or not.

 
At Fri Feb 16, 11:49:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Sure, that would be great if I could like to go back and have the hearing and vision I had when I was a kid. I just meant that I guess I could deal with what I have now because I am adjusting to it, but I don't want to get any worse. I guess if there was something out there that could just stop the progression, I'll take it.

I don't know for sure if stress is a factor in rapid progression of any condition-it's inconclusive. It just seems like we notice changes more under stressful situations. It's hard on the body-especially those with heart conditions. Thanks for commenting.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home