Tuesday, March 13, 2007

More Updates

Well, I am surprised that it's taking longer to get used to the hearing aids (HAs).

I am, for the most part, used to the environmental sounds. They are still somewhat tinny.

The voices are still lower to me with that funny "echo." I can't wait to go back to get them tweaked a bit to listen to things better.

As for the bad ear (the left side), I can hear the "ding, ding" as soon as I turn it on. I didn't mention this before. The HAs have this feature that when you first turn it on, it goes "ding, ding" then the sounds kick in. There's also a new feature that will "ding" when the battery's low. Kind of like when the smoke alarm battery gets low. Then you are more prepared to change the batteries. I like that.

Anyway, as I was saying, I can hear that start-up "ding, ding" and some sort of static, but I don't get any useful sound out of it. Sometimes that staticky (is that a word? If not, why not?) sound stays with me. Again, it's probably as good as it's gonna get. I will see what the audiologist has to say about it. Like I asid before, maybe there's another hearing aid I can try. Or maybe there's always the cochlear implant (CI).

I am always hearing sounds more, but I am not getting the location. I cannot tell which direction the sound(s) is/are coming from.

Yesterday, I made a concious note to listen to sounds as I walked to the school yesterday to walk my youngest home.

I can hear a car. I still have to look for it. It's a lot clearer, though. As usual, the newer models are quieter. (Is that better to have a quieter car if no one can hear you?)

Voices are still the hardest to understand. If they are too deep or low, I don't understand them too well. If they are too high, I don't understand them. I can't expect everyone to talk in monotonous voices, either (Snore, snore).

It makes me wish I could get the HAs adjusted earlier. I have to wait till next Monday for the tweaking.

Will keep you posted on more updates.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At Tue Mar 13, 08:12:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shari,
Fantastic! I hope you can get them tweaked just right next Monday. I'll be thinking of you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home