Monday, August 04, 2008

Whassup?



I am doing better every day. I still am waiting for the de-numbing of my tongue. I find tart items taste better (i.e., lemonade) and I still have that unilateral face-lift tightness around the ear. There were times I had to remind myself that it’s normal after a CI implant. I am starting to have dry skin around the area of the implant. Ugh. I never heard anyone saying anything about that. I am starting to feel like I have dandruff on the implanted side, including the skin around my ear. Ugh. Not a pleasant feeling. I am beginning to wonder what stuff was put on there besides some kind of iodine to prep the area prior to surgery.

I am walking normally, but slower. I don’t want to bang my head into something. My basement has some areas (pipes and vent thingies) that are too low for me and I am constantly stooping to avoid hitting my head. There are some areas where I can stand, but if I'm moving around lugging laundry, I am not going to be taking chances. When we had that flood, Hubby put the freezer on some wooden beams to give it some height off the ground. Some of the wood sticks out and I have to watch for it so I don't trip over it

The implanted side is less swollen. I am trying to find the magnet, but it doesn’t protrude and I can’t find it. I think I know where it is, though, because it’s still numb in the area.

I admit that the first few days post-op, I was like, “What did I do? Why did I put myself through this?” Then I got over the hurdle and started to feel better. I had to focus on the outcome, like a mother dreading childbirth. It’ll be over and now you have a beautiful baby. Only this time, it will be the rebirth of my left ear to sounds it hasn’t heard in a long time. I try not to get my hopes too high and expect too much. At least not right away. I know it takes time and I will focus on that, too.

Activation Day: August 25. This is the day both girls have their first day of school. Unfortunately, we couldn’t get an alternate date that was open at a similar time. So we had to reserve the original date. I am okay with it. I still have some hearing in my better ear, so it’s not like I haven’t heard their voices in a long time.

I did have that high-pitched tinnitus in my ear right after I woke up form surgery. It went away, but it comes and goes now, in different tones and pitches.

A fellow CIer told me that HAs are like a piano, but CIs are a symphony of sounds. I was thinking about that one day when Flare was listening to music. She said that she could hear the violin in the song. I was like, there’s a violinist playing in it? I couldn’t hear it. I usually have this image of a band of musicians, one with a guitar, bass guitar, a keyboard, and drums. I don’t think about all the other extra musical instruments that may be playing in a song. I’m lucky if I can get a few words of a lyric on my own. Just the other day, I was watching TV and this song called Ballroom Blitz (I think?) came on. I thought it was “ballroom dance” until I read the CC on the TV. Oh.

I have been given a couple of awards, so that will be on my next post. Gotta spread the awards around. :)

OXOX

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At Mon Aug 04, 01:52:00 PM , Blogger lime said...

so glad to hear you're healing well. her's hoping it all continues in the right direction and the activation day is another wonderful step into regaining hearing.

 
At Mon Aug 04, 03:56:00 PM , Blogger Laurie said...

You sound better every time you post! Glad you are healing nicely. You should be able to hear the different instruments in music. I listened to jazz first. . . oh my goodness! When I listen to music, I can pick out the different instruments like harps, guitars, cymbals, etc.

Can't wait to hear more from you!

Hugs!

 
At Mon Aug 04, 04:34:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

3 more weeks, Shari! That is so exciting. :) I don't blame you for moving carefully -- you definitely don't want to bang your head on anything or trip. I am also still walking much slower than I usually do.

Ballroom Blitz! I have that song on 45. ha ha :) I still have all my old 45's from when I was a kid. Who sang that...was it Sweet? Anyway, I've never been able to discern individual instruments in songs, except drums. And lyrics...no way. If I didn't have a lyric sheet, I made up crazy words that were so far off the real thing it was embarrassing. :)

~ Wendi

 
At Mon Aug 04, 06:11:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and Wendi are very smart patients. Glad you are feeling better!!!!! Yeah we Ushers have to be extra careful walking around. But it is wonderful getting "info" from other C I friends.
Still keep expectation very low.
HUGS, Molly CC

 
At Mon Aug 04, 06:12:00 PM , Blogger Becky said...

Glad to hear you're healing up. Soon, it'll all be worth it! It's amazing how 'invasive' surgery really is, that it takes so long to completely heal...but oh, the results!

 
At Mon Aug 04, 08:14:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Thanks, Lime. Easy does it. I am sure it'll be a while, but I'm going to do my best to stimulate and work on adjusting to the sounds.

Laurie-I'm glad that you can single out all the different musical instruments in a song. That's cool. I can only hope I can do that...someday. :)

Wendi-You are asking me, one of the worse people to ask, about who sings what? LOL. I have no clue who sings Ballroom Blitz. Some guy? LOL. I used to always go, "Oooh, I like this song. Who sings it? What's the title?" I'm trying to remember the TV show I was watching with that song on it. Was it Daddy Day Care? Hmm.

Wow, every day brings us closer to activation day. Did I read somewhere that someone got activated two days after the surgery? I can't imagine that. I still had the head bra on.

Molly-I'm trying to keep my expectations low. I'm getting excited, too. Of course, I didn't get my bill yet...lol

Becky-It is pretty invasive and they do have to watch for the taste nerve and facial nerves along the way to the cochlea. Yes, I'm focusing on the results. Hopefully good results. Everyone is different. Some don't have a long adjustment period and those who recently lost hearing get better results (auditory memory) than those who lost their hearing a long time ago. My implanted ear has been deaf for about 10-15 years. It'll take time. I hope I am patient enough. :)

 
At Mon Aug 04, 11:09:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Twenty days to go! I'm excited for you!

 
At Tue Aug 05, 09:11:00 AM , Blogger Breazy said...

glad to hear you are doing well, hope it continues!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home