Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Blogger's Choice Awards

I have been given a couple of awards and I am now passing them out..,


This award was given to me about two months ago. (Sorry, Kacie.) I didn't mean to let it take so long to mention this. With all the insurance denials, appeals, and approvals, I had a lot on my mind.

There are no rules with this award (my favorite kind). So everyone who reads this post and/or is on my blog roll, is welcome to copy this award and add it to their sidebar if they wish. :) Please, don't hesitate to take it.

Thank you, Kacie. Love you, too.




The second award is called:


Breazy gave me this award.

Here is what she says about me:

This beautiful mother of two has opened my eyes to a genetic disorder that I didn't even know existed. Shari has Usher Syndrome Type II. Her posts are centered around how she deals with life while dealing with hearing loss and loss of sight. I admire Shari for speaking out and teaching others about her disorder, also for sharing her day to day life. Thank you Shari, you have taught me so much about appreciating the "little things" in life.

Aww, shucks, I'm blushing here. But honestly, this is what I meant to do with this blog. Just to share what I can and can't do and how I just "do." I adjust (sometimes) and move on. That's all you can do. I pray every day for a cure and God's guidance. This is a very rare dual sensory disorder and a lot of people have no idea it exists. There are many misconceptions about hearing loss and vision loss. Like for instance, not all 'blind' people who use canes are totally blind. They may have some vision, so don't judge a cane user if you see one at the store reading a magazine at the check-out line or not all blind people have good hearing. I am glad that I am educating my readers. I always worry that some people may see it as a "pity blog" when it's more about how I feel and I am sure many may go through the same grieving process (denial, anger, depression, etc.) if they faced a certain condition. I have up and down days just like anyone else. Hugs to all.


Breazy, I do enjoy reading about about your family on your blog, too. I love "watching" your kids grow up. It is a breath of fresh air. :)

Here are the rules:

Put the logo on your blog.
Put a link to who awarded it to you on your blog also.
You need to nominate 7 other bloggers for the award and put links to them also on your blog.
Finally, leave a comment for those you've nominated- so they know they've received a special award.

This is always the hard part. I wish everyone could get this award. It's really a fun way to show how you appreciate their "blogmanship" and posts they share on their blogs.

Drum roll please...(or hands waving in the air and feet stomping for attention-grabbing vibrations)...my nominees are, in no particular order:

1. Wendi: She's a beautiful mother (of two teenagers) who who woke up one day in April and realized she suddenly lost the remaining hearing in her second ear. As she struggled to adjust to life with silence (and a few tinnitus jingles along the way), she, too, opted to get cochlear implants. And she was BRAVE!! She got BOTH ears implanted on the same day....the day before my surgery. Kudos to Wendi. I cannot imagine total silence unless I turned of my hearing aid in my better ear. She is also a terrific writer. She's very detailed and expressive. I look forward to sharing our experiences as we adjust to hearing with CIs.

2. Beth: She is a beautiful mother of three grown boys. She is also an excellent writer. In fact, she has some of her work published. (I'm impressed.) She loves to read books and posts reviews of books that leave me hanging so I have to bookmark the books so I can read them at a later time. (Sigh, so many books, so little time.) She also has a wonderful sense of humor and it shows in her posts. I never know what to expect when I visit her blog: A review, a humorous incident, or something that will make you jump to conclusions only to see that it is "innocent."

3. Kacie: She is a beautiful mother of three and we share something in common; We both have Usher syndrome Type 2. She started blogging to share her journey with her new guide dog back in January. I was so excited for her. Recently, she has had some issues with her guide dog and had no choice but to retire her dog due to her nervousness in stormy weather and any thundrous noise, such as a motorcycle firing up. She can't guide Kacie in those conditions and it is not safe for either of them when she freaks out like that. A guide dog needs to focus on its job and can't be distracted. My heart goes out to her. I hope that she can be matched with a new guide dog. That means retraining, which involves time away from her family and believe me, that is a hard thing to do when you have little kids at home. Even when a dog is trained to guide a blind/legally blind person, it's not always foolproof. Some dogs become aggressive or timid or something else may come up, but they are rare incidences.

4. Laurie: She is a beautiful mother of four. She has bilateral implants (done one at a time) and is thankful everyday that she is able to hear again with the gift of sound from cochlear implants. I love her quote, "As long as I live, I'll hear waterfalls, birds, and winds sing." by John Muir. I love that. She writes about hearing issues and her family. You can feel the love she has as you read about her family, beliefs, hearing issues, and her dogs. She's a great advocate for people with hearing loss. Kudos. We need more people like her. :)

5. Kila: She is a beautiful mother of three boys. That's quite a handful. She's one of those very organized people that keep up with photo albums and scrapbooks. (Don't you envy her? Winks.) She started out writing journals about her kids and wanted family members to keep up with what was going on by blogging online. She is a mother through and through. She worries about sunburn and any emergencies that may come up. The words she uses to type about her kids just emit love. You just KNOW she loves her kids, even when they are at their worst. She is a fellow Wisconsinite and roots for the Packers, too. Go, Pack, Go!!

6. Abbie: She is a beautiful young woman who, like Wendi, suddenly lost the hearing in her better ear. She woke up from a medical procedure (not hearing-related) to a world of silence. She got implanted in one ear and is having a lot of success with it. She is now persuing the option to implant her other ear. She is a wonderful writer and you never know what to expect. She always keeps me amused. A recent example: She was on a subway and asked a man a question. He had the bluest eyes she's sever seen. She fell instantly in love with him. She was trying to come up with something witty to say, but then he got off the train at the next stop. She watched her future husband leave and fall into the arms of his lover...a man. She exclaims to herself,"That figures!! He's gay!!" She is refreshingly original and unpredictable (i.e., "...looking at me like I have my magnet on too tight" or "...take one look at me in my birthday suit is enough to scare a buzzard off a, ahem, sh*t wagon."). I always look forward to reading her posts from beginning to end.

7. And last, but not least, Becky: She is also a beautiful mother of two boys. She shares tidbits about her kids' antics and I do love the way she writes about how her three-year-old talks, in toddlerese. From "It'th icky" to "I cwy cwocodoile teows." For me, as a person with hearing loss, I struggled big time when my kids were learning to talk. I had to do a lot of pointing and guessing. I managed to teach them the sign for "more," "drink," and "please" when they were a year old. That way I knew if they wanted "more" food or something. Perhaps she is the modern day Erma Bombeck? She's a wonderful writer and loves to "invent" her own words like I do. One example is: Daycation. Just going off, driving a few hours to a place to explore and relax without spending a fortune.

There you have it. The seven nominees. May they enjoy putting this (DUST-FREE!!) award on their e-mantle (sidebar). Let's give them a round of applause (or hands waving in the air), please. As far as I am concerned, everyone deserved this award. We are all unique writers in our own ways.


OXOX

Labels:

8 Comments:

At Tue Aug 05, 10:05:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shari, thank you SO MUCH! I am very honored and I'm grinning from ear to ear. :D

You've become such a great friend and I look forward to chatting with you every day. I'm very happy to accept the award you've so generously offered!

Hugs,

Wendi

 
At Tue Aug 05, 11:58:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW !!!! Nice people find nice people. You have a wonderful group of friends.

Standing ovation to all of them.
Molly CC

 
At Tue Aug 05, 11:59:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, thank you for thinking of me, and thank you for the kind words!

I posted this tonight, and will work on passing it on tomorrow!

 
At Wed Aug 06, 12:18:00 AM , Blogger Becky said...

Awww, thanks so much, Shari! That was very sweet. I've not been on the blog much of late because we are househunting and all...but thank you! I'll try and do a blog award post in a week or so. Thank you so much for all the nice things you've said. I'm certainly flattered to be included with the likes of Erma Bombeck...I loved her!

 
At Wed Aug 06, 08:08:00 AM , Blogger Laurie said...

Shari,

Congratulations on receiving your awards! You are a sweet person and a wonderful writer. I admire your strength, courage, & perseverance despite your Ushers Syndrome and hearing loss. . . you are an inspiration to many people!

And, thank you for passing the second award on to me . . .I am honored. As soon as I get through this week and weekend, I will post on my blog again. . . have a state government meeting on Friday in Nashville and am trying to finish my work before I leave. And I will see Jennifer (at Surround Sound) on Thursday night!

Am so excited about your CI. . . and am looking forward to your response on your activation!

Blessings! Laurie

 
At Wed Aug 06, 08:25:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Wendi-You're welcome. You deserve this award. I agree. I look forward to our daily chats, too.

Molly-It's just too bad that we are all far away from each other. The Internet may make the world seem more reachable and smaller, but it's still as vast as ever.

Kila-You're welcome. That's too bad about Favre. I wasn't really against him. He has been having a hard time deciding whether or not to retire the last few years. Lots of pro players have done that. Magic Johnson. Deion Sanders. Michael Jackson. It'll be hard to see him wearing a different jersey.

Becky-You're welcome. You deserve the award. Toddlerese is so fascinating to me and I can understand it in print. LOL

Laurie- You're welcome. You can take your time posting it. I don't know if I can get the activation on video, but maybe some pixs. We'll see.

 
At Sun Aug 10, 03:58:00 PM , Blogger Beth said...

You so deserve this award!
Many thanks for passing it along to me - I'm honoured.

 
At Sun Aug 17, 10:54:00 PM , Blogger Abbie said...

Shari,

Thank you so much for the award! You really made my day. :) It makes me feel all warm inside knowing that someone really enjoys what they read...

(I am so sorry that it took so long!!!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home