Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Starting the New Year with a ROAR!!


I wanted to start the new year with a bang, or rather, a ROAR!!

A few days ago, Laura awarded me with the Roar with Powerful Words award. This award is passed to bloggers who make an impact with powerful words. A big impact.

Thank you, Laura. I started this blog as my input, my voice, to educate the world about a rare recessive disorder that affects both hearing and sight. Talk about a double whammy!! It's mind-blowing and devasting. Being born hard-of-hearing, it was such a shock to find out that there is a disease that actually takes away your sight, too. All you can do is move on, find ways to deal with it, and keep adjusting. Always. Every once in a while, the disease eats away more of your vision and you have to adjust. Walk slower. Get brighter lighting. Keep your gaze fixed on an object that was dropped. If you don't, you "lose" sight of it and have to back away to see it again. Life is all about adjustments to changes.

I am a shy person by nature and I thought that blogging would be my way of advocating about Usher syndrome. Who knows what the future would bring? Maybe I'll do more to advocate for Usher syndrome.

I will quote the rule of bestowing the award to other bloggers:

"As part of this honor, I’m to name three things that I believe most important to powerful writing and then pass on the award to five blogs I believe deserve recognition."

Advocacy-I like reading blogs that have a voice, a passion for what means so much to them. It could be something simple, but if it touches my heart, it qualifies as powerful writing. I learned so much from other blogs, other lives that are affected by something they have no control over, yet they go day to day, plugging through. It helps me stay grounded. Sometimes I admit I wallow in my own pity party, but so many people have their own problems. We are all fighting our own fight, whether it's an on-going struggle or just sharing struggles/experiences that have been overcome.

Integrity-I like simple honesty in a blog. The writer has left an imprint of his/her soul in the blog. It's credible and easy to empathize.

Thought-provoking-Blogs that make me think and leave such an impact on me.

I've chosen five blogs that I think deserve the Roar, whether the blog is a quiet purr or a rumbliing roar.

Drum roll, please....

1. Jennifer (A Work in Progress) is an amazing woman. She is deaf and has five children. She attends church regularly and is always on the go. Sometimes I just get exhausted reading about all the things she's been doing. She's chronicled her cochlear implant journey. She kept going when the first one didn't work as well as she had hoped, but she still kept at it, making sense of the new sounds. Then she had the opportunity for a second implant. Her world has opened up again. With this amazing technology, she is able to hear again. It's so inspiring. She is an advocate for cochlear implants.

2. Laurie (Laurie's Dance with Sound) is another person I admire. She also has bilateral cochlear implants. Her world opened up for her as well. She is also a strong advocate for cochlear implants. It's made me think that maybe I should look into the cochlear implant option and see if I could at least regain my hearing through technology. (Of course, it would be great if they could so something like that for our eyes as well...)

3. Eileen (A Life of Triggers) talks about her job as a social worker in a school. I never realized how many children are abused. She's a very strong person who went through a lot growing up and took in her sister's child like her own. Her daughter is bipolar and she talks about her struggles with that, too. I think she's amazing and deserves this award. She's an awesome person.

4. Michelle (Full Soul Ahead) is a mother with a child on the autism spectrum. She is always finding ways to help her daughter cope with things we take for granted. Something small, like a substitute teacher for a day or a sudden noise or movement, would affect her daughter. It's wonderful to see how much she's grown and adjusted. I really didn't know a lot about children on the spectrum. I have learned so much. Thank you, Michelle.

5. A newcomer to the blogosphere...Kacie (See No Evil, Hear No Evil) just made her debut. Why have I chosen her? After all, she just started blogging. Because she was one of the first people I started talking to about coping with Usher syndrome. She helped me so much. I was so depressed about "hanging up the car keys" and giving up more of my independence. I also KNOW that she will have her strength and "roar" shine through right from the start.

Of course, I had a brother and sister with Usher syndrome, but it was sooo wonderful to talk to others about Usher syndrome. She's a strong advocate for Deafblindness. She's an active member of a deafblind association in her state. She inspires me. If you think I am "brave", you have to meet her. I feel like such a wimp next to her. She uses the cane and will now chronicle about her journey with a guide dog. Yes, she's going to journal about her experience-learning to be part of a team, training with a guide dog. Please go over there and welcome her to the blogosphere. She's a wonderful friend. Someday I would love to meet her in person.

So there you have it. Please go and visit them and see why I think they deserve this award.

Happy New Year. God bless.

XOXO

Labels:

10 Comments:

At Wed Jan 02, 11:33:00 AM , Blogger Amrita said...

Congratulations Shari, you really deserve this award. You have made a deep impact on me.

Thank you for sharing about your friends I will visit their blogs.

May God bless you and family in the new year.

 
At Wed Jan 02, 01:34:00 PM , Blogger lime said...

an excellent set of criteria for awarding folks and what a terrific list of folks you've chosen just judging by the intros to them.

 
At Wed Jan 02, 03:08:00 PM , Blogger Laurie said...

Shari,

Thank you for the award! I am honored by your thoughfulness. I am also in awe of how the Internet has changed our lives, especially for those of us who are disabled in some way and need that connection with others.

Happy New Year to you with God's richest blessings!

Laurie

 
At Wed Jan 02, 03:41:00 PM , Blogger Laura said...

You inspire me Shari. And thanks for the new links to new blogs. I love meeting new people. It has become my hobby. It also helps me keep things in perspective. Best to your entire family this year. Thank you so much for thinking of us.

Laura

 
At Wed Jan 02, 06:25:00 PM , Blogger Abbie said...

I just came across your blog today and we have mutual blogs in common! I read Jennifer's and Laurie's and I have to agree with you, they are AWESOME WOMEN!and you piqued my interest with yours and the others you have mentioned. To be honest, I don't know much about Ushers but now I intend to research it starting with reading your blog! I can't wait to read more!

 
At Wed Jan 02, 06:39:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Amrita-Thank you. I always feared that my "voice" would not come across as educational, but more like a "oh, poor me" kind of thing. I am glad it doesn't.

Thank you, Lime. I had to think about this for a few days.

Laurie-The Internet has made the world seem smaller than it really is. And that we are all alike in so many ways.

Laura-We all have a story to tell. I am really modest about this and don't really think of what I do as "inspiring". I just "do", but I am glad you think so. The blogging world can be so educating. I like the fact that I can read the posts without having to miss anything because I didn't "hear" it. If I come across any humorous blogs, I'm not missing the punch line. :)

Here's to another great year. Happy New Year all.

 
At Wed Jan 02, 07:19:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shari,
Thank you so much for this very special award. I am so touched. You have no idea how much this means to me. It made my day! What a great way to start 2008! I am so thankful that I found your blog, you are an inspiring person.

XOXOXO

 
At Wed Jan 02, 08:35:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Hi Abbie, thanks for stopping by. Yes, Laurie and Jennifer are inspiring, awesome women. :) I'll be stopping by when I get all caught up here. :)

Thank you, Eileen. You do deserve this award!! :) You inspire me with your strength doing what you do with your job and at home.

 
At Thu Jan 03, 09:13:00 PM , Blogger Mom22grls&1boy said...

Shari,

Thank you for the award! Sorry I sounded silly about it, I'm new enough to blogging I didnt know what you were talking about! LOL!

But thank you again for the compliments, I think you are an awesome person for sharing your story as I hope to share mine.:) We have a story to tell about Ushers and you know, we can be happy with what we hav.:) It does have it's ups and downs but if I can do it, you can too.

Hugs!
Kacie

 
At Fri Jan 04, 08:31:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Kacie-Many face adversity in different ways. Ours is hearing loss and progressive blindness, though many do retain central vision for a long time. We can pick each other up when we're down. :)

I KNOW that you will do great sharing your story. I'm amazing? (blush) Thanks. So are you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home