Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Call of Music

My youngest and I are sitting on the front porch.

Suddenly, she perks up. "Mommy, mommy! I hear the ice cream truck!"



Wikipedia: Jack and Jill Ice Cream Truck in Kentlands, MD, USA


That noisy ice cream truck! Luring the children. A great sales pitch. (Talk about "pitch"!) Ice cream truck drivers don't need to say anything...the music does the sales pitch for them.

I look at her and shrug, "I don't hear it." Yet.

"Mommy! Please!?!"

I am wondering how far away it is. How far can she hear it? If she can hear it, then why is it that she doesn't always hear me when I ask her to do things? Selective hearing. Hmm. I need to get a CD with ice cream truck music. Maybe I can get the kids to listen to me when I expect something to be done. (Ha!)

I reply, "We have popsicles in the freezer."

"I don't want that kind. Pul-eeeeze, Mommy!?!"

"I still don't hear it. It may not even go by our house."

"If I use my money, can I go and get some?"

I really don't like to have the kids get ice cream from the ice cream truck all the time, especially when we have some in the freezer. I do cave in and let them have it, but mostly when they have their own money.

I sigh, "Okay."

I can now hear the ice cream truck. It is about two blocks away.

I watch a pair of blurred legs run towards the corner of the street. I watch her waiting for the truck to stop near her. I watch her talk to the driver. Money is exchanged for an ice cream treat.

I watch her walk back towards the house, happily licking her purchase.


myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

Glitter Graphics




When was the last time I really enjoyed what I was eating? Food is the enemy. Too fatty. Too many carbs. Too many calories.

Ah, you are only a child once.

I ask her if I could take a bite. Now I am smiling, relishing the flavor, fat and calories and all.

Heck, you only live once.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At Wed Jun 27, 07:04:00 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

I hear ya...we try to hide the kids from the ice cream truck here too ;) And I'm with you...I rarely relax and enjoy my ice cream...when I do, I feel guilty. That's why we walk, remember? ;)

 
At Wed Jun 27, 09:31:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog and I like it ! You're a good writer - I'll be back for more !

 
At Fri Jun 29, 01:55:00 AM , Blogger Amrita said...

Oh yes Shari you 're only a child once and ice cream is a huge part of childhood.I can 't eat all the ice cream i want to because of cholestrol. Let em have it!

 
At Sun Jul 01, 10:33:00 AM , Blogger Shari said...

Jennifer-I do let them get ice cream once in a while. It's just cheaper if I buy it in bulk (six in a box). Mostly when they have their own money, but you can't tell the ice cream drivers not to drive in your neighborhood. I don't know if their prices have increased due to the higher gas prices. They must go through a tank a day.

Zhu-Thanks for stopping by. I am glad you like my writing style, if you can call it that.

Amrita-Yes, it is. I lived in the outskirts of town, so I don't have memories of ice cream trucks. I do remember getting a lot of those freezer popsicles and getting different kinds of ice cream treats at Gramma's.

 
At Sun Aug 19, 02:34:00 PM , Blogger Laurie said...

Hello!

Why is it that kids can hear an ice cream truck a mile away but they can't hear you calling them when you need them? *sigh*

-Laurie

P.S. I answered your question in my blog comments. . . did not have your email address.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home