Thursday, May 31, 2007

Some Bonuses about Hearing Loss

Sometimes I am happy that I am hearing impaired.

When my kids were babies, they'd cry and cry and nothing would calm them down. I would pace the floors or rock them and hum/sing softly to them (badly off-key, but babies don't care, right?). All that crying would really do me in and I would blissfully turn my hearing aids off. I couldn't hear the crying any more. That calmed me down and my fussing baby would eventually calm down, too.

Now it's the screaming matches my kids have. I really hate it when they fight like that. I asked my mom if we (my siblings and I) were like that. She says that we were. Now it's my turn to go through all these fights. I would step in and try to referee the situation. Screaming doesn't solve anything. Talk it out. I do turn my hearing aids off during some of their fights.

Whenever I hear an annoying noise, I am happy to turn my hearing aids off. The other day a neighbor was using a chainsaw or something while I was trying to eat my lunch on the deck. I was able to eat in blissful silence just by turning my hearing aids off.

So there are a few perks.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At Sun Jun 03, 04:28:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Molly here: I turn off my ears too. (not h. aids anymore, but c implant). Yes relaxing..... 1993, heard speaker Sam Trychin . Said we have to take a break and turn them off. Made me feel better when a hearing impaired Ph.D said that!!!!!!

 
At Sun Jun 03, 05:44:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI SHARI,
ANNE, HERE. YES, I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU THAT IT IS SOMETIMES NICE TO HAVE THE OPTION OF TUNING OUT THE WORLD, WHEN THE SOUND OF SILENCE IS BETTER THAN THE NOISE AROUND US. THE WORLD IS GETTING TO BE A NOISIER PLACE ALL THE TIME. IT IS HARD TO FIND ANYPLACE THAT IS TRULY QUIET ANYMORE.
HEY, HAVE YOU SEEN ANY POSTINGS ON THE USHER LIST LATELY? I HAVEN'T SEEN ANY ACTION THERE FOR WEEKS AND WEEKS (MONTHS?) MAYBE I'M OUT OF THE LOOP, ALTHOUGH I SHOULD STILL BE SUBSCRIBED.
TAKE CARE, ANNE
P.S. IF YOUR GIRLS ARE FIGHTING A LOT, IT COULD BE BECAUSE OF THEIR AGE DIFFERNCES. YOUNGER DAUGHTER MAY BE TRYING TO COPY OLDER DAUGHTER, AND OLDER DAUGHTER MAY BE FEELING LIKE SHE NEEDS HER SPACE, HER PRIVACY, AND DOESN'T WANT ANY "LITTLE KID" BUTTING IN. JUST A THOUGHT.

 
At Sun Jun 03, 08:49:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Hi Molly, yes, it's really nice to just turn the HAs or CIs off when the noise is just too much.

Hi Anne, yes, the girls are 5 1/2 years apart and the youngest does want to be like her sister. I tell the older one to be flattered. LOL. I've done that with my sister (4 1/2 years older thab me), too. But I also had a hearing sister who is 14 months older than mw and we had our fair share of fights, too. I guess it doesn't matter. You just need some space.

I haven't seen any recent posts on the Usher list. It's been pretty quiet. Just when I think I may have been accidently unsubbed, a lone post or two comes in. All we need is a good topic. I am glad not to catch up with all the emails, though. Especially now that I will not have as much time this summer to sit at the computer all the time (maybe). I want to spend the time with the girls while I am not working or taking any classes.

Thanks for commenting, guys. :)

 
At Sat Jun 09, 09:54:00 AM , Blogger Amrita said...

Wow Shari your blog is worth its weight in gold, I finally found people I can relate to because all my life I felt the odd one out in this PERFECT world, I 'm 45 yrs old.
Yes i also turn off my hearinbg aid, so I don 't have to hear the TV, disturbing noises and irritating talk too.A good positive way of looking at things.
Yes I think i don 't have Ushers, because my hearing loss came later, i have balance probs tho. and suffer from rheumatoid arthritis. I have difficulty identifying blue and green,pink and other mainly pastel shades, I 'm OK with black and white and they are my favourite colors.
Disabled people have hardly any privelleges here, but its staring to improve.BTW I have sinus problem too, the bridge of the nose is cooked slightly.Doesn 't show tho...thank God

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home