Monday, May 07, 2007

Hear No Evil

My oldest came home from school one day last week telling me that this is what she heard some of the kids in her class chanting:

Ring around the hooker;
Pocket full of moolah.
Ashes, ashes...
We all get *screwed.

(*Note: I did not want to insert the "f" word here.)

They had recently learned how the original rhyme started. I don't know if this is how the chant started or if it is old and someone is repeating it. (I don't even know if I like this rhyme anymore. Not because of the "modified" version, but because of the origins of the rhyme.)

Sigh. I realize I can't plug her ears or protect her from hearing all this stuff. I know that the older she gets, the more she will be exposed to this kind of language-in high school and college, at work, and from the media (TV, magazines, books, etc.)

I don't remember hearing stuff like this when I was her age. I was probably sheltered from all this, because I didn't "catch" things.

Ignorance is bliss.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Mon May 07, 08:13:00 PM , Blogger Sue Flaska said...

I am afraid of what my girls will hear by the time they are in school...yikes.

 
At Mon May 07, 11:16:00 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

Hi Shari! Thanks for visiting me today...I hope you'll come back! :) I am *finally* adjusting to my CI...I am getting the new Advanced Bionics processor in a week, so I am hoping that will make a huge difference in my hearing! It is amazing how much I am picking up with it...it doesn't sound like I remember yet, but it's enough so that it is a tremendous help...with the kids, I need all I can get!
I read another RP blog...it's called "Blind Insight"...I think I have a link to her in my sidebar *off to look*...have a great day! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home