Friday, December 05, 2008

Rather Annoying Noises...Surprising CI Moments

Glitter Grapics


There are some sounds I knew were there. I’ve heard them before, but I had no IDEA that they were as annoying or as loud as they were.

The other night, Angel wanted me to blowdry her hair. I complied. I didn’t want to have her go to bed with wet hair and wake up with “bed head” or worse.

Who knows what it might look like in the morning?



The moment I turned on the hairdryer, I was surprised that it was LOUD. And. So. Annoying.

Granted, I don’t wear my CI or HA when my hair is wet, especially not when blowdrying my hair.

Wow. Is that thing LOUD!!

I knew it made noise. I still had some residual hearing in my left ear which has always been my better ear. It was just a motorized hum, a kind of a white noise. Just a bunch of hot air blowing around.

Well, the blowdryer doesn’t just have a hum, it has a LOUD, annoying hum. Talk about VOLUMIZERS on hairdryers!!)

How can hearing people stand it? Whoa. I think I could never think of it as “white noise” because I rarely blowdry Angel’s hair anymore. Sure, I use it a lot, but, again, I don't wear the HA or CI when I use it.


``````````````````````````


Now the next surprising “noise” I am going to share with you isn’t new. I knew it was there, but really had no idea it was THAT loud.

Hubby fell asleep on the couch watching TV. He started snoring. LOUDLY.

I look at Angel and say, “Does Daddy always snore that LOUD?”

Angel: Mommy, I can hear him from my room!!”

Me: Really?

Flare: Mom, I can hear him snoring downstairs while I’m in my room.

Me: Really?

What bliss!! I can sleep through his snoring. I don’t sleep with my HA or CI.

(Sorry Hubs….yes, I know...I snore, too….I bet you snore louder…winks)

Even Topaz snores. LOUDLY. (Whoa.) Even though Onyx snores sometimes, but not that LOUD and not always. She more or less just barks what I call “bubble barks”. She just gets air out of her closed mouth and then she just has this “puff of air” bark. (Sweet dreams...chasing that obnoxious squirrel, are you?)

```````````````` ```````````



The benefits far ouweigh the negatives about getting the CI, even annoying noises. At least I'm not exposed to them ALL day. :)

Music: I still use the TV/HIFI cable to listen to music on the computer. It works just fine. I need the volume switch on 3 in order to pick up sound. (It has a volume switch numbered from 1-5.)

I’ve tried the personal audio cable on Hubby’s MP3 player. Nothing. I don’t hear anything. I put the music program on my CI on full blast. Nothing. I tried it on Flare’s iPod. Still nothing.

I emailed the audi. I told her I didn’t know if the cable was a dud. This cable didn’t come with a volume switch.

She ordered me a new one. I would have to exchange it with the one I have and return it.

I tried it again. Nothing.

The audi thinks that I just need the map on my music program to be set at a louder volume. I’ll wait till the six month visit to get it looked at.

It still works with the TV/HIFI cable, so I’m happy with that…for now.

I still surprise myself, though. I can hear sounds through closed doors. It’s not clear, but it’s there.

That's it for now. :)

HUGS.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At Fri Dec 05, 01:44:00 PM , Blogger Nessa said...

Snoring is definitely a time one would like to be deaf, even when I snore and wake myself up.

 
At Fri Dec 05, 03:26:00 PM , Blogger Www.lozsmedicsljourney.blogspot.co.uk said...

i love not being able to hear snoring but for me i always leave me CI on and shout at my dad when he snores toooo~!

Sleeping without a CI is without doubt the best thing ever! l0)

 
At Sat Dec 06, 04:38:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Shari,
Anne, here. Yes, hairdryers are extremely loud because they are held so close to the ears. I recommend to people to hold them as far away from their ears as possible to save their hearing.
Vacuum cleaners, kitchen blenders, and all kinds of other machines are extremely loud and even though we think of ourselves as deafies, it doesn't hurt to protect what residual hearing you have left by wearing hearing protection when you use loud equipment for a long time. I have a pair of sound-blocking earphones, easy to put on/take off when vacuuming, for instance.

 
At Sun Dec 07, 01:43:00 AM , Blogger hillgrandmom said...

Hugs Shari! Do you feel a sense of wonder at each new sound you hear and identify? Hope you do not feel I'm being insensitive.

 
At Sun Dec 07, 02:47:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never even thought about the fact that I don't hear the hair dryer anymore! You're right, it is LOUD. I never dry my hair with my CIs on, obviously, so that's a sound I haven't heard in a long, long time.

The snoring just cracks me up though. I never knew our dog snored at ALL...now I can hear him snuffling and snorting. Not to mention Dave. :) I'm glad we don't wear CIs to bed! LOL

Hugs,

Wendi

 
At Tue Dec 09, 12:10:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, not all sounds are pleasant ones!

 
At Fri Dec 12, 04:38:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Nessa, even I, when I am reclined, watching TV. I doze off and wake up with a start. With my CIs on, I actually heard myself snore. (Shhh.)

Laura, being deaf does have advantages. :)

Anne, I admire how much you want to protect what hearing you do have. For me, I guess, I always wanted my HAs on for anyone who wanted to talk to me. It's not like I am alone in the house when I vacuum or something. It's a great idea, though, and maybe more people should do that to protect their ears.

Hillgrandom, it's more that I am surprised...at things that I didn't know made sounds or sounds I haven't heard in a while. What's the most surprising is the distance I might hear something. An ambulance siren, for instance. I used to only hear it at about two or three blocks away. Now it's more like six or seven. I'm not even sure, but I hear it farther away.

Wendi, yes, sometimes deafness can be a blessing so we don't have to hear unpleasant noises.

Kila, you can say that again. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home