Monday, October 27, 2008

Roses, Puppies, and Food...oh, my!!!

Hubby peeked through his eyes at me as I popped into our room to do something (obviously not quietly enough, LOL) and then he pointed at the dresser saying, “Didn’t you see that yet?” I follow the direction of his finger and look at the dresser. On top of it was a card and a small package of M&Ms.

Oh, it was Sweetest’s Day. (I forgot. He’d have gotten away with it…LOL)

After reading the card, he says, pointing at the dresser again, “Didn’t you see it?”

I frown at him. What? I look at the dresser again. A good foot from the spot where the card and M&Ms were, off to a back corner against the wall, were a dozen long stemmed roses in a vase. Of course, I didn’t see it. All I saw was the card and candy. The vase was a good foot away, in a dark corner. My mouth opened in shock. I hadn’t gotten roses in a long time. It was always a bouquet of irises or something. Of course, Hubby recently acquired a large vase on one of his successful Household Sales shopping finds. We have a thin vase and that cannot hold a bunch of roses.

I took them downstairs and set them on the counter. (A few days later, Angel informed me that there were 18 roses, not 12.) I just assumed that there were a dozen. I didn’t think about counting them.

(Everybody now….AWWWW). Thanks, Hubs.

Hubby went pheasant hunting early that afternoon with a friend and came home empty-handed. He said that his friend heard about a German shorthair that needed a new home.




Five months old.

Housebroken.

Good hunting potential.

The people who own the dog needed to give him up because the house they were living in changed ownership and the new landlord says: No dogs allowed or they’d have to move.

So Hubby went to check out the German shorthair. And brought him home. The moment I looked into his topaz (a warm golden tan color) eyes, I just melted. He’s so cute. He has a roan coat with white “freckles” all across his body, like a fawn, only that the white "freckles" are just littered all over his body. He has a short, stubby tail that when he wags it; it just makes his whole backside wiggle. Onyx and “Topaz” seem to get along well. They wrestle and play together. Even Onyx, who’s very laid-back and content to just lie around, got more active and somewhat competitive. Can you see the resemblence in this photo? Heads tilted, ears perked...

(Everybody now...AWWWWW.)

Things are livelier around here, that’s for sure.:)

Hubby got more dog food and started mixing two different dog foods. Onyx always seemed “messy” (bits of dog food would be all over her food dish); though I suspect she was just being picky and eating her favorite flavors. Topaz is our “sidecleaner” and cleans up the mess Onyx leaves behind. Saves me the work of cleaning up her mess. LOL. Good boy.

And we were very low on essential foods in the house. Bread. Milk.

Hubby went to a local bread shop and got discounted bread. And then he took us all to the store to get more food to stock up the refrigerator and pantry. Only thing was, it just doesn’t seem like I got a lot. Isn’t that awful? You can get so many bags of food and there’s more money spent than there are food. Arrgh.

I’m going to have to try out a new grocery store and see how that works out. Would I get more for my money? We shall see. For me, I just hate having to familiarize myself with new stores. (Of course, some of the stores I frequent like to move things around every so often and I'd have to re-familiarize myself with where certain items are.)

So, it’s been a pretty big week here.

I don’t have new news to report about any CI (cochlear implant) moments. One blogger mentioned using the phone with her CI and hearing almost everything the speaker said. So I told Hubby to use his cell and call me. LOL. He used random words with one to three syllables so it was harder for me to determine what he was saying. He would say things like “watermelon” and I guessed “walking?” Next time I’ll have to have him say sentences. They’re easier. You get to fill in the blanks if you can’t get everything.

I know, I know. I’ve said it before. I’m becoming a weekly blogger. Sorry.

Dogs...

Kids....

What can I say?

My oldest daughter uses the computer more now to do homework and download songs on her iPod via iTunes. We have a slow dial-up connection, so it's a looonnnggg process.

So I don’t have as much computer time as I used to, either. (With me being done with school, thus no homework to do on the computer, really cuts down on my own computer use, too.) Obviously, there is LIFE out there...

I am still here. I’ll try to stop by and visit your blogs when I can.

HUGS

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At Mon Oct 27, 09:23:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Onyx has grown! My boss also has a German Shorthair puppy, and he brought it to the office on Friday. I totally fell for it! I like its short, neat fur!

And congrats on all your treats from hubby!

 
At Tue Oct 28, 12:12:00 AM , Blogger Jennifer Bruno Conde said...

Terrific! Larger vase....perhaps more frequent and dozen-and-a-half bouquets!

Jennifer :-)

 
At Tue Oct 28, 06:24:00 AM , Blogger Amrita said...

Topaz is really sweet

 
At Tue Oct 28, 09:04:00 AM , Blogger hillgrandmom said...

The dogs look so sweet together. Incidentally, since Topaz is a male, hope Onyx is spayed, that is unless you don't mind some mixed pups sometime next year :)
Nice to see you online Shari.

 
At Tue Oct 28, 03:58:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Kila-Can you believe that Onyx is 16 months old already? Both dogs are about a year apart with birthdays in May. :)

Jennifer-Maybe. Time will tell. :)

Amrita-He is a sweetie. So is Onyx. :)

Hillgrandmom-The dogs get along for the most part. They do get jealous, like kids, and want attention. Yes, Onyx is spayed. No worries there. :)

 
At Wed Oct 29, 10:35:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Topaz and Onyx look so cute together -- love their 'internet names', perfect! :)

The flowers sound just beautiful...what a sweet thing for hubby to do.

It's always great to read your updates, Shari!

Hugs,

Wendi

 
At Wed Oct 29, 06:27:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Wendi-Pets, next to the kids, are the gems of our lives, why not use gemstone monikers? :) They get along pretty well, though there were times when we had to break up the wrestling matches between the two.

The flowers are starting to wilt. :( Oh well. :) I'll see if I can revive them by cutting off another inch off the stem.

 
At Wed Oct 29, 06:32:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Oh, Wendi-I forgot to add that I thought of "Topaz" when I looked into his golden brown eyes just like the vampires in the Twilight Saga books. :)

 
At Thu Oct 30, 11:10:00 AM , Blogger Becky said...

What a thoughtful hubby you have!

And what an adorable pup! Bet the competition puts a spring in Onyx' step, lol.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home