Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Drippy Weekend...

We had rainy weather all weekend. There was moisture in the air, but I am not sure if I should call that humid, because it was a cool humidity.

Saturday was rainy all day. Since Hubby couldn’t really do much because of the rain, he offered to take us to the grocery store. Since I know he likes corned beef and cabbage, I simmered that in the slowcooker as soon as I got home.

A kind of "fun" race was scheduled for all the kids in pre-kindergarten through 5th grade could run in. They get a free tee shirt and run in their age group. It was canceled because of the weather. I expected that. So it’s been put off till next week. (It would be a good idea for the organization that set up the kids’ races to put down a “rain date” on the registration form.) Angel was the sixth or seventh runner two years ago. (Last year she had a cast on her arm from falling off her bike, so she didn’t go.)

Friday night and Saturday morning, she was fretting about the race, because she wanted a ribbon. I tell her that it’s more important to have fun. I really don’t want her to be discouraged and not run if she doesn’t feel like she’s the fastest. She can still enjoy running. Besides, if she wanted that ribbon badly enough, she can work at it, too. It takes work to be the fastest. I think it’s important to stress activities like these as a good way to form a healthy habit, not competition. That's just my opinion.

We stopped at a custard place to get some sundaes and shakes. Angel loved that.

Flare was hoping to go to the mall to find a Homecoming dress and got to go with a friend. Her friend’s dad dropped them off and Hubby had to pick them up. That arrangement seemed to work out well.

Flare got a really nice halter style dress in a kind of an electric blue color. Now she needs new shoes….(Do I look like a walking money tree or what? LOL) Actually, she saved her allowance money for that dress and she hasn’t cashed in her birthday money yet. I hope she gets a black or white pair of pumps-something basic that she can wear with other dresses. She wants to get sequined shoes. She says, "Mom, sparkles go with everything now. Get with it." LOL.

Sunday was another gloomy day, but instead of raining, it was misty. Really, three days in a row of gloomy days is enough to make me tired and walk around like a sleepwalker. Hubby dropped us off at church, but we weren’t early enough to hand the pastor my FM system (Zoomlink). It was okay. It was hard to concentrate on the sermon with a restless Angel resting her head on my lap. It’s really cute how she wants to help me find the right pages in the hymnal.

When we were leaving and shaking hands with the pastor, he asked me if I was hooked up yet. I was momentarily, inwardly shocked at that. I don’t expect hearing people to know what “hooked up” meant when it comes to CIs (cochlear implants). I just explained that I was hooked up, but people’s voices still sounded high-pitched and that it still takes time to get used to it.

Today was a gorgeous day!! It was sunny and DRY!! It felt warm. I was outside a lot today. :)

Other than that, it was pretty much an uneventful day. We are supposed to have temps in the 60s all week. (Pout) Should we dare to tell Planet Earth to start rotating backwards so we’d get summer again? I guess that people on the other side of the world (Australia) wouldn’t appreciate having another winter so soon. (Sigh.) I guess it’s our turn and that’s that. LOL. (I’m not exactly a fan of winter. The snow is very pretty on the trees and all, but I could do without the freezing cold temps. Moving to the south is not an option. (More sighing.)

As far as CI moments go, it’s still pretty much the same. I usually turn off my HA (hearing aid) for a while and just listen. When I am on the porch, I can tell when a car is going to “buzz” by on my right or left side (most of the time). I am glad that I am starting to get more localization with it. I used to always feel like sounds are on my right (the HA ear) and if I wanted to look for the sound, sometimes I actually pivot several times into a circle trying to pin-point the sound. Mostly, it’s a voice. Someone is talking to me and I am not sure where the voice is coming from. Hubby always seemed to be amused by that, but he knew that my HA ear was doing all the work prior to the CI.

I maxed out the new map already. LOL. To refresh your memory if you are new to CI information, what that means is that the map is set on the four programs (P1 to P4) and each program (for me) has the same map (ADRO for every day sounds) and it increases in volume. I still have a volume control that I can turn up to number 9, too, for more, well, volume. That’s it.

Right now, I am on P4 with the volume on No.9. I maxed it. It isn’t that loud again. That just means that my brain is soaking up the information and wants more. So, until my next map (next week), I will just listen, listen, listen.

When I have my next map, I am not scheduled for another map until three months post-activation. (Two months!!) I will see if the audie will make them map more aggressive or I may have to see if I can get another appointment inbetween the one month and three month maps.

I tried to watch TV with just the CI on and the voices are still very robotic and mechanically high-pitched (a.k.a. heliumized). Sometimes I can make out what they are saying, but most of the time, I have no idea what they are saying. I can follow along with the closed captioning and then I can understand the words better. Of course, to me, that’s cheating because I’m already reading the text of the conversation or narration. If I am on my own, I’m lost.

Will report more when I can. I know I am not blogging as much as I used to, please bear with me. I am trying to cut down on my computer usage. I admit it, I'm a computeraholic. I have been limiting the time I spend on the computer to just focus on other more important things in my life. I'll be popping in and posting updates about the CI and the girls. I did not forget you.

BTW, Literally Blindsided just had its second birthday. Happy Belated Blirthday, Literally Blindsided. Yep, you read that right. Blirthday. Blog's birthday.


glitter-graphics.com


Happy Blirthday to you.
Happy Blirthday to you.
Happy Blirthday dear bloggie,
Happy Blirthday to you....

(Can you tell I'm "losing it"? BLoggie? LOL)

5 Comments:

At Wed Sep 17, 09:38:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two years, that is terrific! Happy Blirthday, Blog! :)

I think it's really touching that your pastor asked about your CI and knew the terms to use.

I use the captioning too -- I wouldn't be able to understand 95% of TV without it. I do try to just listen sometimes but usually I have to glance down at the text. Since Dave needs it also, I don't ever foresee a day when we don't have captions on in this house. LOL!

I hope the nice weather holds so Angel can do her run this weekend. :)

Hugs,

Wendi

 
At Wed Sep 17, 12:46:00 PM , Blogger Becky said...

I love that your pastor was 'up' on the lingo, lol.

So things are coming along well with the CI...that's great! I'm enjoying reading about your journey.

Corned beef and cabbage sounds yum. It's starting to get a bit of an autumn nip to the air at night, and stuff like that is starting to sound really good.

 
At Thu Sep 18, 08:10:00 AM , Blogger Beth said...

You're not "losing it." You just have a great sense humour!
Happy 2nd Blog Blirthday!

 
At Thu Sep 18, 11:02:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Wendi, it was such a weird thing to hear "hooked up" from a person not involved with the CI process or has one, investigating having one, or knows someone personally who has one. Pretty freaky.

I get phrases here and there of what is said on the TV without looking at the CC. That's probably about 15%.

Becky, that was a real freaky feeling, but I recovered in a split-second and taked in plain English about what the CI does for me. Things are coming along slowly but surely. :)

Beth-To be honest, I think my sense of humor is corny, but I'm okay with it. It's me.

Bloggie's growing up too fast now. WInks.

 
At Fri Sep 19, 10:56:00 PM , Blogger Amrita said...

Happy Birthday to your blog Shari.

I 've learnt a lot from you

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home