Friday, September 05, 2008

Updates and Another Mispronounced Word

There's really not much to report with my progress with Pete, my CI (cochlear implant). Everything still sounds robotic/mechanical and hollow. It still has that "heliumization" to the voices.

I've been using program P4 a lot lately. All the programs P1 to P4 have ADRO settings with no sensitivity yet. Each program is the same, with increased volume in each program. Today was the first I've been using the volume control to make things louder.

It's strange, really. When I first got activated (after the tone test was done-too soft, too loud, comfortable, etc), it was LOUD. Now it seems I have adjusted to the "loudness" and things are getting soft. It makes me wonder just how "LOUD" it's going to be before I have adjusted and have the right map.

I am ready for the next map next Tuesday.

To me, it's like well-baby check-ups.

In this area, after birth, babies have a two-week routine check-up, then a one month, three month, six month, nine month, and 12 month check-up. It seems that the CI (at this facility anyway) has maps scheduled like this. After the first year, then the maps should only be "tweaked" once a year.

I know, it takes time and patience. I'll look back on the adjustments and wonder how I got this far. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I still GOT it!! I still unknowingly mispronounce words don't seem to look hard to pronounce. Leave it to me, I'm a pro at it. :)

Another example:

Flare and I were talking about school and one of the teacher’s (or was it a student?) uptightness. I said something about how people can be anal about things. She laughs at me.



Me: What?



Flare: Mom, it’s ay-nal.



Me: An-al.



Flare, laughing some more: No. Not an-al. Ay-nal.



Me: Oh, ay-nal. (I’ve never really heard anyone say the word before. I’ve always read it that way.)



Flare nods.



Me: Oh, so that means an-us is really ay-nus?



Flare: I can’t believe I’m having this conversation with my mother!!

LOL. I'm terrible. Well, I had to be sure that it was pronounced right, too....

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At Fri Sep 05, 06:38:00 PM , Blogger Laurie said...

Bwaahahahahaha! That is so funny! Believe me, I've had similar conversations like that with my kids!

But you know what? Everyone has a different accent so ay-nal and ay-nus might be said differently! Especially in the south!

You're doing just fine. Hang in there!

Laurie

 
At Fri Sep 05, 07:35:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Shari,
Anne, here. Yes, I get words wrong, too. And lyrics to pop-music songs are usually mostly beyond my grasp...I've had learn and re-learn mis-heard words a million times.
Your descriptions of the sound coming thru the CI are pretty weird, alright. Those in the know (fellow CI owners) are all telling you these sensations are all very normal. Hard for me to even imagine....I suppose anything would sound loud to a previously mostly-deaf ear. And then, you gradually get used to soud, where there used to be no sound.

 
At Fri Sep 05, 08:50:00 PM , Blogger lime said...

sounds like yo uhave reasonable expectations for getting acclimated and the need for patience. thats' good.

and i love that you could have that conversation with your kid. fabulous!

 
At Sat Sep 06, 01:52:00 AM , Blogger Cyborg Queen said...

*snickers*

I still cannot pronouce spaghetti right. It comes out, "Piss getti"

Took me quite a while to say Kentucky correct...(I was never corrected on this word until a few years ago), it comes out "Ken tuck k tea"

Been there done that. Boy my arms are tired. *wink*

 
At Sat Sep 06, 06:34:00 AM , Blogger Beth said...

I've heard that line, "I can't believe I'm having this conversation with my mother!" so many times. And just imagine what sort of things three boys are teaching me!

 
At Sat Sep 06, 10:08:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL at your conversation with Flare!

I hope the hearing keeps improving :)

 
At Sun Sep 07, 01:37:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tuesday is just around the corner! I can't wait to read about what the next mapping brings you. I have a really good feeling about it, and you've been doing so well so far, Shari! :)

The conversation with Flare is *hilarious*! LOL

~ Wendi

 
At Mon Sep 08, 01:37:00 PM , Blogger Becky said...

You crack me up, woman.

Hey, if you're going to mis-pronounce it anywhere...where better than with your family? And to correct two words in one sitting is even better! ;)

 
At Tue Sep 09, 10:43:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Thanks, everyone. I will try to share more mispronunications as they come up. I just laugh at myself sometimes. Sometimes I do get frustrated; I guess it depends on my mood. Definitely good to misprounce words safely at home. Grin.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home