Monday, August 18, 2008

Wherefore Art Thou?

My heart broke on that black day, March 4 when Number 4 retired.

Favre? Favre? Wherefore art thou, Favre?

I was so sad. Instead of Alley Sheedy’s character in Short Circuit crying out for “Number 5,” I let it go and moved on. I did not cry out for "Number Four." I belted out a few wails of "waaahhs" and got over it. Or so I thought.






If he wanted to retire, then let him. He’s had a good career.

Hubby says, “He’ll be back. He’s NOT going to retire.”

Later, we watched him being interviewed by Larry King. He didn’t sign his retirement papers yet. Favre says it’s more for his benefit.

When I was growing up, football was BOR-ING. If my dad and brothers (and oldest sister)wanted to watch the game, then that was it. My older sister and I either had to sit (quietly) and watch the game or find ourselves something else to do. Why watch a bunch of overpaid men who ran around in tight pants? (Although as I got older, it wasn’t so bad seeing men in tight pants for a change. Winks. Yeah, the huddle.)

Soon, the Packers were doing well. Favre was the new quarterback. I started to enjoy football. Only the Packers, though. That was enough. I didn’t care to watch ALL of the games. Only the Green Bay Packers.

Then, as I was accepting the fact that Favre was done, what happens? He wants to come back. My heart skipped. Yay!!

Then my brother says, “Who cares? He should have stayed retired.” Huh? People are NOT happy? (Yes, I was sooo behind. I don’t really watch a lot of TV or read the paper that much.)

With my mouth open, I look at my husband. He shrugs his shoulders at me. Man, I must have looked so NAÏVE!!

In my heart, I loved how Favre rooted for his team. How he just loved football. It showed. It was fun to watch him play because he enjoyed it.

For a while, I kind of went along with the crowd. Oh, boo. (I regret that. Sorry Favre.)

Deep down, I wanted him back. He was Favre, for crying out loud. His name was in my daughter’s history book in fourth grade (five years ago). He’s a Hall of Famer!! He's Favre. "Nuff said.

Lots of high-profile pro players retire and come out of retirement. What’s the big deal? Lots of pro players are indecisive about their future. Do they want to retire? Do they want to play another year? He’s not the only one. Let him play!!

Favre, Favre, Wherefore art thou, Favre?





Now he is playing for the Jets.

Green Bay Packers and Favre got "divorced." What about us fans...the kids?

Waaahhhh.

I tell my husband that I am done with football.

He wanted to watch the game Saturday. I told him, “Remember, I am done with football. Maybe I’ll be a Jets fan now.”

He shakes his head at me like I am being childish.

I still don’t know what I’ll do.

Retire from football fandom? Be a Favre follower? (Don’t worry, Deaana, I only mean it as a distant fan, not a stalker.) Maybe it’s not so much the Jets team I’ll root for, but just Favre.

Decisions. Decisions. (Just think how hard it was for Favre to decide?)

Labels:

6 Comments:

At Mon Aug 18, 11:31:00 PM , Blogger contemporary themes said...

Hmmm. I'm not much into football, but sister had three boys and they are all WAY into it!

But I can feel your pain!

 
At Tue Aug 19, 12:21:00 AM , Blogger Becky said...

We aren't huge pro-football fans, but that one was rather shocking. Disappointing, really. I'll only ever think of him as a Packer.

 
At Tue Aug 19, 06:39:00 AM , Blogger Beth said...

I feel your pain and confusion! My beloved Toronto Maple Leaf team is undergoing massive changes - and the Captain hasn't even decided if he wants to even play again - or where.
I think women view sports in a different way from men - a more personal way.

 
At Tue Aug 19, 07:47:00 AM , Blogger Breazy said...

I prefer college football to NFL. I love my Tennessee Volunteers however, I also like the Colts because of Peyton Manning, you know he was at Tennessee so I am a little particular when it comes to Peyton.


Hopefully it will all work out!

 
At Tue Aug 19, 09:57:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watching the Packers isn't as fun now. I wish we could watch the Jets games!

 
At Tue Aug 19, 11:54:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

La La-I was never really into football until Favre played. He's just so infectious. You just love to watch him play.

Becky-Me, too. It's hard to think of him as a Jet setter. I mean, Jet player.

Beth-Yeah, some women. My sister loves to watch the sports games on TV. Bor-ing. Not with Favre, though. Sigh. I hope your Leafs player stays with the team. There's enough heartbreak with all these sports teams.

Breazy-I can understand that. I think that's how it is with Favre. He was a Packer. Now may just want to continue watching him.

Kila-Hear, hear. You can say that again. Ditto. Sigh. The "divorce" is really hard on us kids, I mean, fans.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home