Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Close Encounters of the Magnetic Kind



The other day, when I got out of the shower, I decided to let my hair air-dry. That meant no CI (cochlear implant). It’s water-resistant, but that doesn’t mean you can take a shower or go swimming with it or anything, and that includes hair that is wet. I even took it off and put it in my pocket when I got caught in the rain. I'm not taking chances. (I even go sans CI and HA-hearing aid-when I work out. I drip sweat behind my ear and the back of my neck. No way do I want a drop of sweat to fall into the HA or CI processor’s microphone. Zap City. Sure, I could drop it in the Dry and Store (a dehumidifier thingy for the CI, though I now throw in the HA, too). I am guilty of sometimes using the HA during my workout sessions-shhh, don't tell my audie. Lately, though, I stay in the house and work out, so I don't really have to worry about listening for traffic and the HA stays off.

So, with my hair combed back, I reach outside the bathroom door for my HA, which is placed on a shelf on the wall just outside of the bathroom. The shelf is used mainly for gloves and hats. I reserved a spot to place my HA and CI. The steam from the shower is not really good for them (more moisture), so I place it on the shelf just outside of the bathroom door. Easy reaching distance.

I pick up my HA and see that the battery door is open. No battery. I could mentally scan my route from the bedroom to the bathroom. Sigh. But 99.9 percent of the time, the battery would be found on the last place I put it or the last place I picked it up from. So odds are, it’s on that shelf or on my night stand (or in the general area of the shelf and/or night stand.) I pick up the CI on the shelf and feel around for the battery. Nope.

I go into my purse to grab another battery.

I go on all fours, my hands feeling all over the floor under the shelf. I look at the shoes under the shelf and shake the shoes lined up thrown helter sketter against the wall under the shelf. I (bravely) stick my hand into the shoes to see if I could feel a half a dime-sized battery. Nope. Sigh. I didn’t want to rummage around the night stand, because Hubby was still sleeping. The stairs were a no-go, too. They were too creaky. I sweep the floors in the dining room. If I can’t find it, the broom will. (I do this a lot because I have a hard time finding things I drop. Out comes the handy broom, my life saver.) With my vision problems, stuff like pens and coins are the quickest for me to find ths way. (You gotta do what you gotta do.) :)

Nope. No battery.

After about an hour or so, my hair (I have thick hair) is dry enough for the CI. I go to the shelf and grab it.

I start laughing.

Clinging to the magnet was the run-away battery!! LOL.

(It must have opened the HA battery door somehow and the rest is history. )

And the day before that, I was cleaning our dog, Onyx’s (our shedding machine), bed-crate. She’s a slob. Her dog food would be all over the area of her dish, around the floor…ugh. Messy eater she is. (But we love her anyway. Mess, dog hair, and all.) I took out the water b0wl, which had about three stray kibbles of dog food that grew three times its size, saturated with water. I fish it out and throw it in the garbage. I rinse out her water bowl, add fresh water to it, and fill up her food bowl, too. I get a rag and clean out the crate. While my head is inside the crate, I suddenly go deaf. I had no stimuli. What the? The magnet decided to cling to the steel crate. I laugh and put it back on my skull behind my ear.

I find myself in more “sticky situations” nowadays.

(This gives a whole new meaning to "CI Moments.")

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At Tue Oct 07, 10:34:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhh Shari, Been there and done that. Yep I have been on all fours looking for stupid tiny things on the floor.
Yeah that little magnet can grab strange objects. We all have stories. I read about somebody's magnet got caught on their umbrella while it was opened of course. You are not alone!!!!!
Hugs!!!!! Molly CC

 
At Tue Oct 07, 11:25:00 PM , Blogger Amrita said...

You CI has a mgnetic personality. LOL

 
At Wed Oct 08, 09:41:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the title of this post, LOL! That is so funny. :)

I've been afraid to use metal barrettes to hold back my little ponytail because it would be right between my two magnets. I'm afraid they'd both leap off my head and onto the barrette!

~ Wendi

 
At Wed Oct 08, 10:57:00 AM , Blogger hillgrandmom said...

Looks like your Petey's enjoying getting you into 'sticky' situations! :)

 
At Thu Oct 09, 08:46:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Molly, LOL. Umbrella? Thanks for the warning. One person said she was at her desk at work and put her head down in frustration. When she got up, she had paper clips clinging to her magnet, still on her head. LOL

Amrita, Yep, ol' Petey's got charisma.

Wendi-I wonder if there's a "magnet repellant" spray for that? To de-magnetize the barettes? Wishful thinking. Well, May the "FORCE" be with you...

Hillgrandmom-I'm sure Petey's going to put me through a lot of sticky situations. :)

 
At Fri Oct 10, 09:11:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shari, I have to respond!!!! The gal at the office putting her head down at her desk. PAPER CLIPS on her magnet. That is a riot.!!!!!
HUGS, Molly CC

 
At Sat Oct 11, 07:32:00 PM , Blogger Abbie said...

Oh I was one of those gals that put her head down on her desk and come up with some attachments, lots of paper clips. I like jewelery but that was a bit much :)

 
At Sun Oct 12, 11:09:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is funny, so glad you found it. I guess it is something you will eventually get use to and learn to avoid getting too close to metal objects. When you really think about it, there is so much metal all around us! Glad you have those back ups.

XXXX

 
At Wed Oct 15, 04:03:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Hi Molly, LOL. I'm sure there are many "close encounters of the magnetic kind" stores all CIers can share. :)

Abbie, I was thinking of you when I mentioned the head down/paper clip "attachment." :)

Cheryl-Thanks for stopping by. Yes, metal is all around us. I wonder what my next "attachment" story will be. :)

 
At Thu Oct 16, 12:26:00 PM , Blogger Becky said...

Who knew the CI would lead to such predicaments, lol. Good comic relief though, huh?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home