Thursday, October 30, 2008

Mother of all CI Moments!!!!

I just had to share this!! Grin.

I finally got around to getting out the accessories. It was one of those things I kept putting off and forgetting about (we all know how that goes: You have good intentions and just don't follow through because you keep postponing it...)

I switched the CI (cochlear implant) to the music program. For those of you who aren’t too familiar with CI jargon, this is a separate program on my CI that I can use just for music. Other programs are for everyday sounds and focused listening (Beam). So Hubby plugged in one end of the miles and miles of excess cable that connected the CI to the computer.

I got out my CD for Hubby to set up for me. I couldn’t hear anything. :( He got out his earphones to see if it worked for him.

Yep. He could hear it.

Maybe it wasn’t loud enough for me? At a 20-25 dB loss with the CI on, is that a good sign? What a major let down. Then I saw the volume control among the miles and miles of excess cable. I turned up the volume. The Alabama song, “The Closer You Get” was piping through my CI loud and clear. I was HEARING it!! Yahoo!! Woot. I was doing an internal “happy dance.”



(Well, I couldn't exactly go and dance now, you know, not with the miles and miles of cable....not a good idea...)



Glitter Graphics


Then Hubby got out the Billy Joel collection he had saved on the computer. I listened to Piano Man. Let me tell you it was an experience!!! I heard more of the lyrics and actually could hear the different INSTRUMENTS!!! I'm talking Whoa City here. Piano, guitars....of course, when you see a band, you know that they are using different instruments, but they “blended” together so much. I couldn’t hear the nuances of each instrument before. Not like this. Sometimes I was actually hearing the vibrations of the stringed instruments. So cool. I've heard this from other CIers, but I guess I wanted to keep my expectations low. What if I didn't get that?

(Sure, while listening to more songs, the robotic, “helumized” edge to the voices were still there, more so in some songs than others, but it’s still an improvement.)

With my hearing aid, I could hear the beats and enjoy the song that way. Most of the time, I’d have someone write down the lyrics for me so I could follow along with the song. It got harder to listen to the songs the more my hearing deteriorated, though. With the CI, I actually picked up more words on my own. I never really had all the lyrics to Piano Man down pat. I was getting shivers of excitement and I just burst into happy tears. What an experience. :) (Hubby is always uncomfortable when I get emotional...)

I’m hearing a lot of “sss” in this program, though. It kind of hisses with words that start or end with s’s.

I definitely want my own MP3 player now. AND I definitely gotta expand my collection of favorite songs. (Um, Hubby, I’ve put MP3 player on top of my Christmas list….hint, hint....I know I mentioned it before, but another reminder nag from me couldn't hurt...) LOL

If I don't get one, I'm just going to get one myself. Winks.



glitter-graphics.com

And Honey, Happy Anniversary. (Yep, it’s our Wedding Anniversary today.)


Labels:

11 Comments:

At Thu Oct 30, 09:47:00 AM , Blogger Becky said...

Yay!!! That truly is an exciting, amazing moment. So happy for you! And what a perfect time for an MP3 or iPod, lol.

And happy anniversary to you and your man!

 
At Thu Oct 30, 09:57:00 AM , Blogger Laurie said...

What a great and happy post! And Happy Anniversary to you! And yes, you need an iPod! I'm on my second one now. . . the one my kids got for me after my CI activation died last month. But, I'm keeping it for sentimental reasons even if it doesn't work.

I remember listening to jazz music for the first time and how I could hear all the different instruments. It is awesome. Also, you can download audiobooks to your iPod and read along as you listen.

Hope you are staying warm!

Laurie in TN

 
At Thu Oct 30, 01:28:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!! :)

This is SO cool -- hearing all the instruments is just amazing. That is great, Shari! I'm so happy for you!!

I definitely think an MP3 player would be a fantastic Christmas gift. :D

~ Wendi

 
At Fri Oct 31, 12:45:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!
Happy C I Moment!!!!!!!!
That is fabulous hearing more details in music. Need to share the good news with your neighbors and friends. I am dancing with you!!!!!!

Happy Happy HUGS, Molly CC

 
At Fri Oct 31, 02:11:00 AM , Blogger Jennifer Bruno Conde said...

Shari,

Very cool!!! Glad you're able to enjoy music to a greater degree. And I love your glitter graphics. Smile.

Happy Anniversary!

Jennifer :-)

 
At Fri Oct 31, 05:23:00 AM , Blogger hillgrandmom said...

Happy Anniversary Shari!
About music with your CI, it must have been really exciting. Hope you get your mp3 player and have a blast.

 
At Fri Oct 31, 09:53:00 AM , Blogger Breazy said...

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary!

Happy Halloween!

 
At Fri Oct 31, 11:47:00 AM , Blogger Amrita said...

Good you could enjoy the music

 
At Fri Oct 31, 02:51:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Becky-It was just one of those things that you hear about and WANT to hope it happens to you, but keeping expectations is a "defense mechanism." I am glad to hear the individual instruments.

Laurie-Yes, definitely cool to actually single out each instrument. An orchestra would be a challenge, eh?

iPod? My daughter has one. I don't think I have a list of 5000 songs...lol. We'll see.

Wendi-Definitely. iPod or a really good MP3 player. I didn't really expect to hear it or pick up extra words on my own. :)

Molly-I thought you would like this kind of news. :) Happy dances all around. LOL.

Jennifer- I like the glitter graphics, too. I just use a key word that may match my post and then use it. Sometimes I have to use Google Images to find a graphic.

Hillgrandmom-It was an unexpected bonus. :)

Thanks Breazy and Amrita. It was an exciting moment.

And thanks, everyone, for all the congrats to our anniversary. :)

 
At Sat Nov 01, 11:11:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohoo! I am so very, very happy for you!

Just in time to enjoy the Christmas music!

Happy Anniversary!

 
At Wed Nov 05, 09:43:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a San Disk MP3 player, actually several, and they work well too if you don't want to pay the big price for the Apples.

I love the excitement you share with us.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home