Saturday, January 12, 2008

Game Night


(I am aware that the picture didn't fit the whole frame-I cropped it before uploading it, but it ended up like this. Oh well.)

I picked up a game I thought we could play together. It's called Cranium Cadoo. A child seven and over could play it. I never played the adult version of Cranium so I didn't know what to expect. It was on sale for $7.00. What the heck? More family fun. The last game we tried, Tri Bond, Jr, was a hit. It was fun; it was similar to Blue's Clues with three clues to guess the answer.

We got the game ready. I thought it was pretty cool. You could shape something with clay (it was included) and have a player guess what you molded. Or draw a picture, act it out, or guess an answer. What fun-a bunch of different activities to do within one game.

Until...I had to read the answer with 3D glasses (see graphic above). I put the red cellophane-y glasses to my face and tried to read the "coded" answer on the bottom of the card. I couldn't read it!! I started squinting at it. I got a flash light. I aimed the light at the card. There. I did it. Then when it was my turn again and I had to read through those glasses, alas, I couldn't make out the words. :(

Needless to say, I was saddened by this step in the RP process. Red is just not a background color for me to read through. Or reading 3D concealed notes. As I mentioned before, I can read 12 point font print just fine. I read books, magazines, newspapers, and blogs without problems. Gottta think about the positives-what I can do.

Life is never boring. Always something new. Always something new to adjust to.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At Sat Jan 12, 10:20:00 PM , Blogger Candice said...

We went to Arby's a couple of weeks ago and the toy had one of those decoders using red & Rebecca couldn't read it either. I didn't think it was really anything to do with the color red - but maybe it does. I will have to explore that further. I think she can see red on other things so I don't know.

I haven't been to your site in over a week - I like the new colors!

 
At Sat Jan 12, 10:54:00 PM , Blogger contemporary themes said...

I think it is so cool that you play games as a family. Sorry about the difficulty reading, though. I'm sure that must be very hard. I admire that you mentioned what you can read, though. I need to have this kind of attitude that you've displayed here.

 
At Sun Jan 13, 10:08:00 AM , Blogger Shari said...

Candice-I can see the color itself. I heard that red is supposed to be the last color to go. I do have difficulty with some colors. There's something about the decoding, though. Oh, well. Gotta move on.

La La-I have to look at the positives-focus on what I CAN do. When the time comes, I may get ZoomText and a CCTV and maybe even learn Braille. Reading's been such a big part of my life. I'd hate to have it be gone. Once in a while, we play games. It's hard when the youngest gets upset because she's losing, but we gotta build character with the attitude "win some, lose some" or "there's always next time".

 
At Sun Jan 13, 12:08:00 PM , Blogger Laura said...

We love the game Crainium here. My son has difficulty with the things that have the special codes in red that you read with glasses. He is color blind and red/green is most difficult for him.

 
At Mon Jan 14, 07:51:00 AM , Blogger Shari said...

Laura-I was thinking about whether color-blind people could read those coded things. I remember about 10 years ago, I was able to read the numbers inside a "coded card" at the eye doc's, but I can't find the numbers now. I was goodling for something and came across those things just a week or two ago. I shouldn't have been surprised. Will be talking more about colors and contrast in another post.

 
At Mon Jan 14, 08:50:00 AM , Blogger Amrita said...

I also have trouble reading dark print on a dark background, some times you encounter that in newspapers, mags and on the net.

 
At Mon Jan 14, 03:31:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Amrita-I have a hard time reading any dark text on a dark background. If I encounter that on the web, I just highlight them. It works for me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home