Sunday, October 14, 2007

It's MEME Time

I’ve been tagged by Michelle. This meme is a little different than other memes-I have to write about my writing.


Things about Me and My Writing, MEME


from Glitter Graphics


-I edit what I write too much. I’m always rereading a post and changing something. Sometimes I catch a mistake two days after I post and then I fix it and think, how’d I miss that? Sometimes I just let it go. Oh, well. It’s my blog.

-I can type in the dark.

-I've always had an interest in writing. I loved reading Beverly Clearly books about Ribsy and Henry and Romona. When I was about 11 years old, I tried writing a book about a boy named Rhian and his dog, Biscuit. I never finished it. I don't even remember what I wrote. (I guess that wasn't so original, because there are children's books about a pup named Biscuit. That freaked me out.) I even think I am studying in the wrong field. I should get into writing.

-I am always worried that I might be a little too drastic writing about Usher Syndrome. It’s so much easier to write about hearing loss than it is about the ever-narrowing vision loss. It sucks and I don’t really dress it up, but I can’t make it look like a fairytale, either. It's not. I admit I do have moments of anxiety when I publish something too personal about my condition. Then I get a comment or two and feel like I am reaching out to people after all.

-I can laugh about my mistakes when it comes to misunderstanding, but when it comes to “missing things” and describing it, it’s so personal. Even now, when I am writing this, I feel like I am baring my soul, pouring the pain and frustration the impeding blindness brings. It’s an ugly reminder. I only hope that my “voice” would bring some understanding about retinitis pigmentosa and/or hearing loss. We’re still human, trying to make “do”. Sometimes I think that I probably drive away potential readers because they feel uncomfortable reading about this stuff. You know what I mean? When I used see someone in a wheelchair, I looked away quickly because I didn’t want to be caught with pity in my eyes. Now I just give them a smile. It’s not contagious and they’re making “do”. The way I look at it now is, if potential readers feel uncomfortable, then it’s not my problem.

-I try to be funny sometimes. I can be very silly, mostly wacky or smart-alecky, depending on how you look at it. I don’t care. That’s just the way I am.

Th-th-th-th-that's all folks.

I will tag Beth, Kila, and Lime. If anyone else would like to do the meme, be my guest.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

At Sun Oct 14, 09:22:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a great writer and I need you. Yes it is scary about OUR ever narrowing vision loss. Lots of time I go through the YES and NO stage that I have this Usher 2 . Then I bump into something. Darn, rats, phooey yes I have it. I am glad to read about you counting steps in a 2 story home , and not seeing someone reaching out to shake hands . I am thrilled I have YOU, and also researchers working with Foundation Fighting Blindness. They have come a long way since I was diagnosed at age 40, 1988 Keep writing your are doing a great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HUGS Molly CC

 
At Mon Oct 15, 03:31:00 AM , Blogger hillgrandmom said...

that was well written Shari. I don't think what you write about your Usher's syndrome is too much. There may be so many others out there with other forms of disability or even just feeling low, who would be inspired by how you deal with your life. If someone who is uncomfortable with any kind of disability, stumbles across this blog, I guess they should stumble out fast. *hugs* to you.

 
At Mon Oct 15, 06:52:00 AM , Blogger Shari said...

Molly-Thanks. I get quarterly newsletters from FFB and I see all kinds of improvements/ongoing research. Sometimes it's so easy to deny our vision loss, but when I bang into something, I get a cruel reminder (i.e., stubbed toe because someone "forgot" to push the kitchen chair in, a door that's ajar, walking into someone...)

Hillgrandmom-I'm glad you think so. I think about that post I made about what the RP looks like with simulated pictures and think I freaked people out. But it's the truth. And the truth can be a harsh reality. I get a lot of hits from people who are googling for RP or Usher information and I feel good that I do provide links and information for them to read.

 
At Mon Oct 15, 07:05:00 AM , Blogger Beth said...

You write so well and so informatively. The personal information you share enables others to understand - you educate us.

As for the tag - will do, but it may take me awhile!

 
At Mon Oct 15, 08:31:00 AM , Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Keep writing! When you open up understanding and compassion for one disability you open these things up for all.

Great post Shari!

 
At Mon Oct 15, 10:59:00 AM , Blogger Shari said...

Beth-That's all right. Take all the time you need to do the tag. Thanks for the encouragement.

Thanks, Michelle, I'm glad you think so. It keeps me going. This is my way of advocating for now. So many people don't even know what RP or Usher syndrome is.

 
At Mon Oct 15, 09:57:00 PM , Blogger Breazy said...

hey Shari! How are you? I am okay, just making my way around my blog roll to check in on everyone.

Hope you have a good week!

 
At Tue Oct 16, 02:27:00 PM , Blogger Laura said...

I find your posts about Usher Syndrome to be interesting and informative. I have learned a lot here. I also think you are a wonderful writer.

 
At Tue Oct 16, 07:43:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Breazy-Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a great week, too. :)

MrsGrumpy-Thanks. I see so many other bloggers who are good writers. We each have a story to tell, whether it's about our lives or fictional. :) I am glad you find it interesting and informative. Usher syndrome is relatively unknown; it's so rare. You'd think I'd hit the lottery because it's like beating the odds of getting Usher. :)

 
At Wed Oct 17, 09:18:00 PM , Blogger G said...

I am glad that you share about Ushers. I particularly like how you write about your life and Usher Syndrome in a straightforward way. I don't pity you but I am certainly moved by your struggles. You are a very strong person, Shari. I, for one, am glad that you do hit the "publish" button.

 
At Thu Oct 18, 09:39:00 AM , Blogger Amrita said...

You are a super writer. I 'd give you the blog-equavalent of the Booker Prize.he way you wrote aboute US made me get in touch with my feelings and disability

 
At Sun Oct 28, 07:15:00 PM , Blogger Cipriano said...

There is one thing you do not address.
Hmmm... is it true that Wisconsin-ites are sometimes referred to as "Cheeseheads"?
I am currently reading John Irving's novel The Fourth Hand and much of it takes place in the hometown of a die-hard Green Bay Packers fan.... the place is Appleton.
And he says that Wisconsinites are known as Cheeseheads.
sincerely,
Cip, a Canadian DONUT-head!

 
At Sun Oct 28, 07:25:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Thanks G and Amrita. I guess the main thing I want to get across is that I don't want pity. I just "do". At times I can be almost "normal", but what then, what is "normal"?

Cip-Well, I am not forgetting that I am a Cheesehead. It was just not part of "about my writing" meme. :) But I understand what you mean. Appleton, huh? Home of Houdini. OOoooOhhh.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home