Sunday, January 21, 2007

Girl Talk

The other night, as I was cleaning up after supper, my oldest and I had a nice chit-chat about everything and anything under the kitchen light.

My youngest, hating to be left out, pipes in every once in a while with a comment totally off-topic. She wanted to be a part of the conversation. I am still working on her "interrupting" behavior. She complains no one is talking to her and she can't get a word in.

I try to keep her involved in our conversation.

We talked about school. We talked about clothes. She talks about her dad and his new girlfriend. Then she (the oldest) says, "This is fun. I like talking to you like this, Mom. We should do talk like this more often."

I am thinking that perhaps we would stay close when she's all grown-up. That would be nice. I want them both to be able to come to me about anything. I want to be approachable. I can be a fun mom.

Then the oldest says something I don't approve of. I become the mom again, not the "friend."

A little bit of whining ensues. Some pouting and arguments (the kind that is supposed to change my mind about things).

We agree to disagree. But mom rules.

Sometimes it's tough to be a parent, but I am a parent first, friend second.

2 Comments:

At Mon Jan 22, 05:26:00 PM , Blogger Sue Flaska said...

Yes yes yes!!! I work with kids and all too often parents are trying to win their kids over and be buddies with them instead of creating them into productive members of our society. I see it all too often...a huge KUDOS to you!

 
At Mon Jan 22, 11:06:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Sue,

The worst thing for me is when they act up in public. I don't like making a scene. That's the hardest part. I just want to walk out of there.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home