Saturday, December 23, 2006

'Twas the Night Before Christmas

I just thought I would pass on another reminder about what is really important. I need constant reminders. I can get stressed-out over the silliest things.

- 'Twas The Night Before Christmas...
-
- For Moms 'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the abode
- Only one creature was stirring, and she was cleaning the commode.
- The children were finally sleeping all snug in their beds,
- While Visions of Nintendo and Barbie flipped through their heads.
-
- The dad was snoring in front of the TV,
- With a half-constructed bicycle propped on his knee.
- So only Mom heard the reindeer hooves clatter,
- Which made her sigh, "Now what is the matter?"
-
- With the toilet bowl brush still clutched in her hand,
- She descended the stairs and saw the old man.
- He was covered with ashes and soot, which fell with a shrug,
- "Oh, great," muttered Mom, "now I have to clean the rug."
-
- "Ho Ho Ho!" cried Santa, "I'm glad you're awake,
- Your gift was especially difficult to make."
- "Thanks, Santa, but all I want is time alone."
- "Exactly!" he chuckled, "So, I've made you a clone."
-
- "A clone?" she muttered, "What good is that?"
- "Run along, Santa, I've no time for chit chat."
- Then out walked the clone - The Mother's twin;
- Same hair, same eyes, same double chin.
-
- "She'll cook, she'll dust, she'll mop every mess.
- You'll relax, take it easy, watch The Young and The Restless."
- "Fantastic!" the Mom cheered. "My dream has come true!"
- "I'll shop, I'll read, I'll sleep a night through!"
-
- From the room above, the youngest did fret.
- "Mommy? Come quickly, I'm scared and I'm wet."
- The clone replied, "I'm coming, sweetheart."
- "Hey," the Mom smiled, "she sure knows her part."
-
- The clone changed the small one and hummed her a tune,
- As she bundled the child in a blanket cocoon.
- "You're the best mommy ever. I really love you."
- The clone smiled and sighed, "And I love you, too."
-
- The Mom frowned and said, "Sorry, Santa, no deal.
- That's my child's love she is trying to steal."
- Smiling wisely, Santa said, "To me it is clear,
- Only one loving Mother is needed here."
-
- The Mom kissed her child and tucked her in bed.
- "Thank you, Santa, for clearing my head.
- I sometimes forget, it won't be very long,
- When they'll be too old for my cradle and song."
-
- The clock on the mantle began to chime.
- Santa whispered to the clone, "It works every time.”
- With the clone by his side, Santa said, "Good night.
- Merry Christmas, dear Mom, you will be all right."
-
- Source: Written By: Karen Spiegler (Originally published in December 1993
issue of Manic Moms)
-
One of the greatest gifts God can give is our children - just as God's greatest Gift came as a child. During these crazy weeks before Christmas, as you shop and bake and clean and decorate and mail cards. . . think of this as a reminder to take a moment for extra hugs and kisses and make sure your children know how much you love them. That's what it's all about anyway, right?
-
Merry Christmas!

1 Comments:

At Sun Dec 24, 03:55:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shari,
That was wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing, even though my children are grown now I can still relate to the story.
Merry Christmas

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home