Sunday, December 17, 2006

Some Comic Relief....

We all have embarrassing moments now and then, right? I can even laugh about them when I look back on them.

Let me share with you about one of the most embarrassing moments of my life.

A few years ago, my husband and I went out with another couple. I never met them before. My husband worked with him.

It started out really nice. We got some drinks and stood around talking until it was time to eat.

I was shy and awkward with the couple. Then again, I am always shy.

After we started talking about our children and jobs, I forgot about my shyness. Just a wee bit.

When it was time to eat, my husband grabbed my hand because he knew that the lights were too dim for me. I am almost night-blind. When my eyes get adjusted to the light, I can see. I don't see very well, but when there's a light shining on something or someone, I get by. I would still be bumping into anything or anyone that would be in my path, because there aren't any lights on the floor to help me see a path. This is why my husband takes my hand and leads me in and out of dark places so I don’t walk into people or tables.

I was not too impressed with the arrangement of the dining room. The dining area was crowded and tables were positioned too close to each other. I was glad my husband took my hand to guide me.

Then we weaved through the dining room to get to our table. Each light hung low above each table. The small beam of light the mini-lamp offered was enough to see everyone around the table. Only a little.

During dinner, I couldn’t follow the conversation very well, because it was too noisy. There was too much background noise. I could hear other people talking and laughing loudly. I was getting a little frustrated.

I felt I needed to inform them that I was hard-of-hearing. I wasn’t sure if my husband already told them. It didn’t hurt to remind them anyway, because most people need to be reminded when someone has a hearing problem. It is an invisible disability. It's easy to "forget."

The food was great. We had a good time. I still had problems keeping up with the conversation.

All too soon, we finished eating and got up to leave.

My husband was standing next to me so I reached for his hand. I thought that it felt rougher than usual, but I shrugged it off.

Suddenly, he let go of my hand.

For a second, I wondered why and immediately turned my head to give him a puzzled look.

As I looked at him, I realized that I grabbed the wrong hand. It was not my husband's.

Time picked the perfect opportunity to make itself scarce. Time stood still.

My heart stopped. I swear my hair shot right up. I could feel the temperature rise in my face. I wanted time to return so I could move on. I just wanted to duck under the table. Or better yet, step into a time-warp.

I couldn’t defend myself. Even my voice picked that moment to leave me stranded; it was too embarrassed. Why didn’t it take me along?

I wanted to say, “I’m sorry. It’s not what you think.”

My husband quickly explained my condition and how I couldn’t see that well in the dark.

We laughed off my embarrassment, but I still couldn't shake off my uneasiness.

After that incident, I wait for my husband take my hand first. I don’t think I want a repeat performance.

1 Comments:

At Tue Dec 19, 09:11:00 PM , Blogger Dave said...

Yep, been there done that! Wrong knee, wrong girl. Thankfully it was a friend of my wife who know I couldn't see otherwise I would have got a slap in the face!

It's funny how a night out can turn into a running analysis of the layout of the dining room. I do that all the time and I get really frustrated when places are badly laid out. I now tend to go to the same places over and over again because they are places I am comforatable in and I make people come to me.

peace
Dave

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home