Friday, December 29, 2006

Monkey See, Monkey Do

I have been meaning to post my thoughts about laughter ever since I came across an article about it. I previously posted in my other blog about how I seem to laugh along with others even though I don’t really know the whole “joke” because it’s infectious (at least to me it is).

I always thought of it as a way for me not to look, well, stupid if I don’t laugh, though it does play a part. Sometimes just hearing someone laugh makes me want to laugh. Or watching someone laugh makes me laugh. I always thought it was a defense mechanism on my part. I don’t mean to say that I always laugh-sometimes when a joke is said and I missed the punch line, I will frown and ask for a repeat. (Sometimes this makes the person telling me the joke look at me like, “Don’t you get it?”) It’s not that I don’t get the joke; I just didn’t hear all of it. So that’s why I am not laughing. Other times I just pretend to hear it all and laugh. It’s not all that hard to do because I find it easy to laugh.

I believe, as it says in the article, “laugh and the world laughs with you,” is more fact than opinion. Many times I hear the audience laugh on TV (whether real or taped) and I laugh. It’s infectious. It doesn’t matter if I missed something.

I do believe that laughter is therapeutic, too. Just as the saying, “Laughter is the best medicine” implies. It relieves tension. It’s also a good ab workout if you make it a point to laugh often.

It is said that children laugh hundreds of times a day and adults only laugh at least 25 times a day. We need to let go of the worries that plague us. We need to bring out our inner child. I bet it would be a lot healthier for us, too.

I get goofy or just make a lot of puns (sometimes bad puns, but at least I get a chuckle out of it along with some eye-rolling.) My kids would look at each other and say, “Mom’s gone wack-o.” I don’t want them to look back and remember all the serious things about life. I want them to be able to keep laughing. Often.

2 Comments:

At Mon Jan 01, 02:32:00 PM , Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Great post!

I do a meditation/affirmation every day (when I remember) and one of the things I affirm is "I laugh hard everyday."

It is so healing and so important!


Thanks for visiting my blog. It's nice to meet you!

 
At Thu Jan 04, 03:39:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's true that laughter is infctious. I'll never forget being stuck in a traffic jam when BBC Radio 2 played a trach of Elvis trying to sing 'Are You Lonesome Tonight' when something sets him off giggling. I could hear that the harder he tried to keep a straight face and carry on, the worse the laughing got, until he was gasping for breath in between laughs. It had me doubled up over the wheel too, with tears streaming down my face. I must have looked an absolute fright, and I still chuckle to think of it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home