Friday, October 27, 2006

Traffic Law: Proceed With Caution

I am beginning to hate going to the grocery store. Before it was just an errand, now it’s a dreaded chore. I would be pushing the cart to the end of the aisle and have to strain over the cart for a “green light” to see if there’s traffic before I would turn to go into the next aisle. People just don’t pay attention. I am so busy looking out for other people, their kids, and their carts. I still have mishaps. It seems like other people expect you to look where you are going. They don’t seem to take precautions. They walk fast. They grab what they want and move.

When there’s a slight collision with another cart, you mumble an “excuse me” or “I’m sorry.” Sometimes it’s not even your fault. (What is it about apologizing for something you didn’t do? It’s so automatic. “Oh, I’m sorry.” It must be psychological.)

There’s also traffic chaos in the aisles. There’s no order. People are lining up on both sides of the aisle, going every which way. Don’t you think that they should make it a one-way “street”? Or have people line up on one side at a time, like regular traffic? (Yes, I am guilty of it, too.)

My vision is like wearing horse’s blinders except that it’s like wearing blinders on the top and bottom, too. I can see movement out of the edge of my vision, but it’s not foolproof. I worry about little toddlers roaming the aisles. I don’t want to bump into them.

There have been several accidents with the little yellow thingy retailers and businesses use to warn customers about the floor being slippery. I would knock them over. Whoops. How embarrassing. Well, at least it wasn’t a child.

I can move faster, but I am slow. This is my precaution, my instinctive protection against harm. (A little wry humor-I ought to wear one of those orange triangles on my back to warn of others of slow traffic.)

Lately I have been going to the store by myself. It’s nice to go without the kids. No fighting, no whining. On the other hand, they are mommy’s helpers, too.

In the meantime, I guess I will just have to do what I have always been doing until my oldest gets her driver's license. Then I'll have her take over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home