Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Internet Classroom

Until two years ago, I never heard of an online class that you can take via the Internet. It is very convenient. Most people still work full-time jobs while attending a class or two. You can “attend” classes at any time it is best for you. With gas prices going the way they are, it saves students money spent on gas. Some have to commute a good half-hour to class. This saves more time and money.

I was leery of taking on an online class. There was a class I needed to take (a prerequisite) and that is how I experienced my first online class. There was a discussion thread that every student had to reply to for each learning plan or chapter. Assignments were submitted to a “dropbox” on the e-college website. I didn’t mind it. I took more online classes the following semester. Sometimes there were group assignments. Some teachers assigned teams and others expected the students to email each other and form their own groups.

The only thing I didn’t like about online classes is the faceless classroom. I like being around people. I didn’t realize that it was going to be an issue with me. I was used to going to work and being around people. Going to school was like being around people again. How many stay-at-home moms (and dads) out there feel the need to be around other adults besides the spouse? That's what it was like.

There are many pluses, too. I didn’t need a note taker or interpreter in the “classroom.” All my assignments were written in black and white. Everything I needed was right there on the computer. I had to use the information in the online classroom and in the textbook(s) that were required for the class.

Now that I gave up driving, the online class forum is looking more attractive to me. I wouldn’t have to worry about transportation. I would still miss the interaction, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home