Saturday, October 21, 2006

There's a New Shade of Blue

Have you ever listened to a song you liked and didn’t know who sang it? For years I have been looking for the song “New Shade of Blue.” I didn’t hear it on the radio anymore. I even asked fellow country music lovers if they knew who sang the song. The answers I got were Doug Stone or Clint Black. Most knew what song I was looking for, but couldn’t help me. I can listen to songs, but sometimes I just don’t know where the songs come from. I can’t hear deejays on the radio that well so if they named the song or the band/singer, I wouldn’t get it. But I can hear music on the radio. And it really helps to get the lyrics so I can follow the songs.

So, I checked out CDs for this song. I was beginning to think that maybe “New Shade of Blue” was not the title. There were so many other singers who had used the same or similar title. I was at a loss. I started to give up.

I would look for it off and on. I realize now that I was looking for it under the wrong artists. It was a song sung by Southern Pacific, a band that broke up in the early 90s.

To those of you who prefer heavy metal or hard rock: To each his own.

I have included the lyrics (below) to the song, with help from my oldest daughter, who loves most of the same music I do. I find that rather ironic, when you consider how many don’t like the same music as their parents. I didn't. She is also a better singer than I am.

"New Shade of Blue"

He watched the sun set on the highway
Headlights shinin' at the moon
The evening dropped a silent curtain
As the sky turned to a deeper blue
He parks his car along the road
To breathe the desert air
Told himself that he'd forget
She's no longer there.

Refrain:
There’s a new shade of blue.
There’s another kind of heartbreak
To get through.
Mm, mmm.
Color loneliness with
A new shade of blue.

He stared across the desert darkness
Watchin’ taillights fade away.
He came this far to learn the hard way.
There are some things the miles can’t erase.
He pulled back on the dusty road.
He never looked behind;
Destination anywhere
He won’t have to find.

Refrain

Drivin’ down the dusty road;
Never looked behind.
Searchin’ for the border line;
Leave this state of mind.

Refrain

"New Shade of Blue" by Southern Pacific (between 1985-91)

6 Comments:

At Sun Oct 22, 04:22:00 PM , Blogger Word Imp said...

Hi Shari
I'm enjoying your blog which I found through Clare's site. Thanks for giving me the idea of having two blogs. I'm going to add a 3BT blog of my own in the near future. You can take the credit.

 
At Mon Nov 19, 02:58:00 PM , Blogger Michael Stuart said...

That was *the* song that got me into country music back in 1989 or so. Back in the 80's, the emotional roller-coaster of my life would often cause me to hear every song as if it was written for me - this one especially so.

Nearly 20 years later the song rings in my mind again, as I struggle to cope with the potential loss of someone very dear to me.

Thank you for posting these lyrics here.

 
At Mon Nov 19, 05:15:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Michael-I'm glad. It was around that time that I started to enjoy country music, too. My life was up and down, too. Thanks for stopping by.

 
At Mon Nov 19, 05:24:00 PM , Blogger Michael Stuart said...

Are you familiar with the other song by Southern Pacific that came out around that time? It's called "Any Way the Wind Blows."

That's a happier song, and I love them both.

I think I'll listen to it now. I need it!

 
At Mon Nov 19, 06:47:00 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Michael-Yes, I know the other song. Love that one, too. I have the CD of their best songs. Everytime I read the lyrics to this post, I can hear it in my head. :)

I couldn't find the lyrics to this song anywhere. I found one that had like, six lines. It wasn't enough. So I had my daughter listen to it and write it all down. I worried about the copyrights, but I did put credit where it was due. :)

 
At Sat Oct 24, 12:46:00 AM , Anonymous Rejade said...

I just love this song and everytime I download, I get a totally different song sung by another singer.
Anyway, now I know it is "Southern Pacific" and this time I've got the song.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home