Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Show with Deaf Cast

I watched Law and Order: Criminal Intent. The episode was called "The Silencer."

There were a lot of real life Deaf actors on the show. The real thing (not actors acting Deaf roles). I liked it.

I like watching cop shows like these.

This episode can shed more light on Deaf culture and the way the Deaf think and feel. About cochlear implants. About preserving and advocating for their culture. Or maybe that's only because I have a personal interest in it.

I enjoyed the show. It reminded me about how the Deaf feel so strongly about their needs and wants. Even though it's always there in the back of my mind, I tend to disassociate myself from it. I guess it's like riding a bike, you just don't forget. You might get rusty, but it comes back.

Most of the signs used on the show was familiar. I expected a "dialect" of sorts. Kind of like New York accent vs. the Midwest accent, but in sign language.

I want to rent "Children of the Lesser God" again. I haven't watched it since it came out about twenty years ago.

Everytime I see a show with sign language and Deaf or hard-of-hearing people on TV, I want to see more and more of it. I think that the more exposure there is of the Deaf culture, the more people understand and respect them.

I only wish there was more exposure about deafblindness, especially with a condition as rare as Usher Syndrome. We don't have a celebrity with retinitis pigmentosa or Usher Syndrome to advocate publicly for us. If there is one, I haven't heard about it.

-Michael J. Fox-Parkinson's.
-the late Christopher Reeves-spinal injuries
-Sally Fields-Osteoporosis
-Sheryl Crow and a number of others-Breast Cancer
-????-RP/Usher Syndrome

1 Comments:

At Fri Apr 06, 08:25:00 PM , Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

I never thought about accents in sign language. Interesting concept. It makes sense.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home