Saturday, April 14, 2007

Me First Part 2

I don't know about you, but it seems that people are more in a hurry to get where they are going that they just expect you to slow down or put the brakes on.

I am not talking about drivers.

I am talking about walking. In the mall or in a hallway or in a grocery store.

Picture this scenario. (The "you" refers to the "in a hurry" person. You know who you are.)

I am walking along an aisle, reach the end. Before I can turn into another aisle, you suddenly cut in front of me. I have to immediately put the brakes on so I don't collide (with or without a cart) into you. (See a picture of two cars at a four-way intersection. One is southbound and the other is eastbound. The eastbound car makes a rolling stop (not really coming to a full stop) and suddenly crosses the intersection, leaving the southbound car to brake, though it was the southbound car's right-of-way. Now picture it with people crossing in front of you.)

What? Do you, the person who crossed my path, expect me to roll out the red carpet? Maybe I didn't see you. Maybe you thought that I did. Does that give you the right to cut in front of me? What law gives you the right to cross my path like that? I am doing my best to scan the ever-moving shopping area or the doorways and steady stream of traffic of people in the hallways.

I don't care how much of a hurry you are. I don't care if you think, "Ha, ha. I beat you. I am faster than you." This is not a race. If you want to cut in front of me, then time it better.

Thank you.

There. I vented. I feel a little better.

I am normally easy-going. I let things slide. (Maybe too much.) If I had normal vision, that "in the hurry" person could be me. I have seen this happen to sighted people. though.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At Sun Apr 15, 07:10:00 AM , Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

My sweet tiny 94 year old grandmother used to step to the side and smile sweetly at people like this, then she'd say,

"So sorry. Didn't mean to hold up progress."

Most would adjust their attitudes quite quickly.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home