Friday, November 05, 2010

Two-week Map of Second CI

Comparison of the processors I couldn't tell you which
one I liked better. Both are great products for me.
In this picture, both coils and cables with the magnet is not shown.

“Shari,” I heard my name being called while Hubs and I were in the waiting room. I was in the middle of looking at my left processor, the older one, the Freedom, to double check that I had the T-coil on because it did sound funny. I must have click it on when I was listening to my iPod on the way there. (This way Hubs is happy listening to what he wants and I'm listening to what I want. Fair, right?) Once I plug in the iPod to the processor, I have to press on the bottom button till I see "EA", meaning I got the iPod connected. I have to press the middle part of the button. It has a sideways lever on it for lowering and increasing the volume so I have to press it in the middle. But, yes, always a but, there's also a way to press in the T-coil, which makes listening to the phone, FM systems, etc, so much easier for some people. I did have the "MT" displayed on my processor, so I pressed the button to deactivate the T-coil. The "M" stood for microphone.

It was odd, because I did make sense of my name being called with the new ear alone. I don’t know whether I heard my name or just that I heard someone say something that would make me look up. I was in the waiting room and sooner or later, my name would be called, right?

I smile at my audie and both Hubs and I get up to make our way down the hallway towards her office. I kind of “hugged” the wall. Hallways make me a little claustrophobic. I get paranoid about how much room there is for others to walk by. I kept my eye on the phone that was on the wall in the hallway. At the last visit, I knocked the handle off the phone with my “hugging”, er, close proximity to the wall. I passed it without incident. (And of course, they didn't forget that I did that. LOL)

We got settled in “Amy”, the audie’s, office. She measured eight more electrodes in the area of my comfort level (between soft and TOO LOUD!!). Now I have a total of 13 of 22 electrodes mapped. The other nine is turned on, just not measured yet. (I was wrong before when I thought the rest of the electrodes were still turned off; they just weren’t mapped.)

Amy turned on the newly mapped electrodes. It was PERFECT. Usually I need a little more adjustment, maybe it’s too loud yet and I have to get used to the volume or something is still a little “off”. It still had the “Alvinoid” sound to it (high-pitched). But it was comfortable.

She mapped the other Nucleus 5 (N5), the latest model from Cochlear, to the old implant on my left ear. Now I am wearing matching processors. The Freedom, the older model, will be my back-ups. Both Freedoms have been fitted so that one processor is mapped to the first implant and the other is mapped to the new implant so if I wear them, I'll be wearing the same model. I did feel funny the last two week while wearing one N5 in one ear and the Nucleus Freedom in the other.
Because both Freedom processors have ID numbers on them, they were originally mapped for the left ear (the first implant), Amy tried to set it so that one of them can be designated for the right ear. She couldn’t get it to switch. She called someone and then, staring at her computer, she said, “Okay, I got it.”

She only changed one thing with the map on my old side. I have four programs (P1-P4) on it and P1 had everyday (it’s on most of the time), P2 had everyday with the T-coil on it (because it can be tricky timing to push the buttons on my processor while the phone is ringing to switch on the T-coil than it is to switch programs), P3 had Focus on it (it cuts out the background noise behind me so all I can do is focus on the person in front of me, and P4 had the music program on it. The only change was P2; it has Noise now. It’s like a super zoom of Focus. The right side has “everyday” in each of its programs and each is louder than the next so I can keep increasing the volume when the sounds get softer. Sometimes it takes about six months to a year to get the volumes the way you want it. The brain gets used to the volume and you want more. It's mostly because the ear hasn't heard anything at that level in a long time and it can be a slow process to warm up the brain. It's more sensitive at first.

I would never have to worry if I get the processors mixed up and put them on the wrong ear. If I did, sparks will fly. (Just kidding.) Seriously, they just won’t turn on. If I turned it on before putting it on, it just won’t work. I’ll have to switch it to the other ear and voila, it’s working. (With bilateral hearing aids, you don’t have to really worry about that. The left and right earmolds fit to only the left or right side. You can’t put in an earmold backwards.) I remember my last set of hearing aids, the Oticon Sumo DMs, had a blue and red line on it. The blue one was for the left ear and the red line was for the right ear. It was easy for me to remember because of the “r”. “R”ed is for the “r”ight side.

The magnets on my head are not lined up equally. So if people can see my coils sticking to my head, they will see that it's not symmetrical. The magnets on the first CI is lower on the head than the second CI. This may be because I have two different internal implants (the Freedom and the N5) and/or because of the shape of my head is different on one side.

I got a quick training course on the remote assistant again. This time, because both processors are paired to the remote, I had to learn how to adjust anything on one side. Before, only one processor was paired (connected wirelessly) to the remote and a quick program change, volume adjustment, or T-coil turn-on or off could be done. This time going from dual mode (showing both processors were on) to the left side and switching back to dual mode to the right side to make changes or double-checking on the statuses of the battery of remote or processor can be done. It's like standing up straight and then bending to one side. You have to straighten up to bend to the other side.

I can adjust the volume manually by pushing buttons on my processor, too. Lights will flash 1-4 times to tell me which program I’m on and whether it’s turned on or off or when I turn up or down the volume. I don’t have the visual of which program I’m on like I do with the Freedom. This time it’s the lights flashing. Both processors do have beeping sounds that also tell me which program I’m on (1-4 consecutive beeps), along with beeps for turning on and off the processor.

Amy wanted to do a quick hearing test to see what I could hear. We left her office and went to the large sound-proof room. She tested me on what certain sounds I could hear. High tones. Low tones. Staticky tones. Booming tones.

She wanted to see if I had any residual hearing left. I told her that I “tested” it with my hearing aid and I didn’t hear anything. She inserted something in my right ear’s canal. It felt cold and hard. I didn’t see what it looked like. Amy went into the other room and started the second test. I actually was picking up on some sounds. I don’t think I would pick up speech on that ear by itself, though. Most of the time, any hearing, however little, even if it had very little benefit with the hearing aid, trauma from the insertion of the electrode part of the internal implant would damage any hearing that was left. I've heard, though, that the N5 internal implant had less incidence of this. (Not all cases are like this.)

2-weeks after activation, decibels of 15-25-Click once or twice to bigify

Audiogram for CI evaluation of 2nd ear, the right ear-click once or twice to bigify

She said that my audiogram showed that I had reached decibels of 15-25 with the new implant. Wow. That’s a little better than what the other ear was doing at 20-25, if I remember correctly.

She suggested I start using the “Sound and WAY Beyond” disc from Cochlear to do some listening practice or auditory training.

For some people, the second CI doesn’t get all the hard work that the first CI did and it could take longer to get the utmost results. I do remember how long it took to work with the first CI. The hearing aid (HA), though I didn’t get a lot of benefit from it, worked well with the first CI to make things sound natural and off and on through the past two years, I’d turn off the HA and the CI would just sound “different”. Then after the surgery of the second implant, I was forced to go without the HA. Suddenly, the first CI had no choice but work alone. And things sounded “natural”. (The brain is amazing.) It would be very tough for me to “force the second CI to work alone for a month. I don’t have to. I don’t even know if it’s recommended. At this point, I’m just going to work both CIs together.

On the way home, I was really comfortable with the new map.

At the next visit, the one-month mapping and 2 year mapping of the other ear, I’ll really be updating both ears. I don’t think there will be much to change with the first implant. We'll see.


At Fri Nov 05, 03:55:00 PM , Blogger Laurie said...


I'm so happy about your progress already! Once you get used to two "ears", it is hard to go back to just one. To train my new "ear" when I went bilateral, I would put it on first thing in the morning until I went to work. Then, I put the other one on. I noticed a nice difference going bilateral, especially with surround sound.

Keep us posted!

At Wed Nov 10, 02:29:00 AM , Anonymous Dr Efrat Schorr said...

It is wonderful to hear how well things are going with your second CI! It reminds us all that we need to keep working hard and making progress!
Best wishes
Dr Efrat Schorr

At Thu Nov 11, 10:29:00 PM , Blogger Becky said... could write a book on all this. It's very interesting, and I'm SO glad it's working out so well for you. Pete and Repete have made you the bionic woman! ;)

At Fri Nov 12, 10:31:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's awesome that you have the new processor on both ears now, Shari. It sounds like you are progressing really, really well!

I know what you mean about mixing up the processors and the ears they belong to, lol. Mine do the same thing -- they just don't work if I put them on the wrong ear. I put different color caps and skin-its on each CI to help me remember. Solid colors on my left CI and multicolored on the right. :)

Here's to bilateral hearing, my friend!! ::cheers::

~ Wendi

At Tue Nov 16, 09:44:00 PM , Blogger Amrita said...

Hi Shari, wish you all th e best.

Visiting after some time now.

I am subscribing to your blog an d have become your follower.

At Sat Mar 26, 10:34:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on going bilateral! I had both CI24's put in at the same time 5 or 6 years ago in Iowa City. I still have the original processors, and I am so stoked to upgrade to the Nucleus 5 at the end of the month!! That's how I ran across your blog--I was doing an image search for the colors of the Nucleus 5 ( is skimpy on pictures of the new processors).

Anyway, God bless you as you get used to bilateral hearing! Judging by the date of this posting, you're probably getting along very well! :)


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home